Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jchiou
Paper Tape
Views: 8,032
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo T480 won't charge through USB-C

When I connect a USB-C dock or charger to the lenovo T480, no light turns on (white or amber).  I've ran all the drivers that are available and checked device manager through computer management but nothing happens.  Was wondering if there is a fix for this as I can't connect the laptop to the dock and it won't charge at all either.

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 8,025
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo T480 won't charge through USB-C

Do you have another USB-C charger you can try?

Did you try using the USB-C port just in front of the port usually used for charging?

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
jchiou
Paper Tape
Views: 7,982
Message 3 of 13

I've tried another charger and dock.  After troubleshooting for awhile, I compared what was installed on a working T480 and a non-working T480 and decided to uninstall the Intel Management Engine driver.  After doing that, it resolved the issue.

My suspicion might be that Lenovo rolled out some firmware updates that are causing this issue since we've been experiencing it throughout our company on random machines.  Rolling back that driver and thunderbolt software resolved it but hoping that Lenovo addresses this with another update.

Wulfenst
Paper Tape
Views: 7,945
Message 4 of 13

Having this issue a lot as well where I work with multiple devices. We've updated dock firmware and made sure all drivers were up to date. Tried rolling back and didn't work for us Smiley Sad the Intel Management Engine Driver isnt installed by default through the image we use.
sergiomorelos
Paper Tape
Views: 4,815
Message 5 of 13

Did you manage to fix this issue?? Im having the same problem, won't charge from normal chargind port, but seconde USB-C works well... its sa T480S 

jchiou
Paper Tape
Views: 4,811
Message 6 of 13

The fix we found was to reset the internal battery.  We do this by getting a paper clip or small enough object that can press the small button at the bottom of the T480.  Make sure to shut down the computer complete, put the paper clip/small object in the tiny hole near the battery at the bottom of the laptop, hold for at least 20 sec and then boot back up.  This was a recommendation from Lenovo support and has worked for our end users as well whenever they have this issue.

sergiomorelos
Paper Tape
Views: 4,797
Message 7 of 13

Thank you jchiou, I think I have some other problem because this did not solve the issue for me, I think I will have to contact support center, probably the charging port is damaged or something
jfelso
What's DOS?
Views: 4,484
Message 8 of 13

WOW that worked, I thought I would have to replace the port, thank you
iamyourboss
What's DOS?
Views: 2,506
Message 9 of 13

Thanks jchiou., by press the small hole for around 20sec, it fixed the problem right up.   I am using T480s and I thought I have a damaged type c port, but as it turn out it was a software issue. 

curemymind
Paper Tape
Views: 1,625
Message 10 of 13

Sometimes this works and most of the time it doesn't I've pressed that over 5 minutes with no good results.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors