07-27-2019

US

18 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo T490 Laptop Freezes/Hangs & Screen Issues

2019-09-05, 20:07 PM

I've recently begun encountering an issue with my new T490. It's happened several times already so I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing something similar.

The specifications are:

• 1440p Glossy Display
  • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD (installed post-factory)
  • 40GB RAM (8GB factory + 32GB installed post-factory)

It seems that occasionally when pressure is placed on the laptop, the screen could either freeze or start displaying multicolored artifacts.

This has happened in several different ways:

1. Sometimes, I rest my elbow on the plastic part immediately right of the trackpad (around where the Intel sticker is). A little too much pressure here will cause the screen to display artifacts.
    • Sometimes the screen will freeze (does not respond to keyboard, trackpoint, or external mouse input)
    • Sometimes after relieving pressure operation continues normally
  2. I rest the laptop on one leg, then place both my hands on either side of the keyboard (lightly).
    • Sometimes the laptop will continue operating normally.
    • Sometimes the screen will freeze, will not respond to input and requires a force reboot to resume work.

I'm not sure if this is just a manufacturing flaw (like a loose component on the motherboard that gets knocked around when there's pressure on the laptop) or a structural design flaw with the laptop.

Any troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.

Options

1 Posts

09-23-2019

FI

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo T490 Laptop Freezes/Hangs & Screen Issues

2019-09-23, 10:57 AM

I'm seeing the same thing. This is a bone stock T490 i7 with 16GB and 256GB from the factory. I noticed when I balanced it on my knee and grasped it on the sides and slid it back and forth a little the screen started glitching and the laptop locked itself.

I also have another user with an i5 variant that has the screen lock up multiple times in a meeting sometimes (she's less than thrilled). Not sure that has anything to do with this, but this is a worryingly large sample out of the few T490's we've so far deployed that are glitching.

Options

1 Posts

03-15-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Lenovo T490 Laptop Freezes/Hangs & Screen Issues

2020-03-15, 21:24 PM
Did you find a solution for this random hanging of screen problem?
Options

6 Posts

07-27-2019

US

18 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:Lenovo T490 Laptop Freezes/Hangs & Screen Issues

2020-04-17, 6:02 AM
I am not sure if this is what caused the issue, but I noticed that the plastic flaps that covered my RAM module and WWAN card had a metal-like backing to it. I tested the material and it seemed like it had some a very high resistance, although it was not entirely non-conductive. I ended up putting some electrical tape to cover this metallic thing, along with cleaning and re-seating the RAM module. Ever since doing that, I haven't experienced the screen glitch anymore.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete