cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geoffreyjorden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,593
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo T510 won't boot after RAM upgrade.

Hey guys, so recently I purchased a Lenovo T510 laptop, upgraded it to windows 10, and decided to upgrade the RAM in it (the stock 2GB just won't do), knowing that the most RAM it can be upgraded to is 8gb, I purchased G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM from newegg here is the link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I did the research before hand and seen that this RAM should be compatible with the T510, so I powered off the system, removed the battery, and went to town and 5 minutes later had it all put back together. Upon powering up it would boot to the windows start screen, then shut off, reboot to the windows start screen, shut off, and would repeat this process indefinitely. I checked the BIOS and the RAM is registering and all is fine on that end as far as I know.

So after about 2 hours  of trouble shooting and looking through forums, I decided to put back in the stock 2GB ram and it boots fine again, anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get it to accept the 8 gigs of Ripjaws?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,577
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo T510 won't boot after RAM upgrade.

You bought low-voltage (DDR3L, 1.35V).  You need DDR3 1.5V

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
geoffreyjorden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,572
Message 3 of 8

Well... That is troublesome to hear. Do you have any recommendation on what RAM to purchase? I enjoy G. Skills products, however I cannot see any 1.5v for laptops.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,568
Message 4 of 8

I always recommend Corsair Vengeance, or G.Skills, but you may need to buy them used.  There are not many 1.5v DIMMS being made

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

geoffreyjorden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,556
Message 5 of 8

So would these work? And it should just be plug and play with no issue?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231472&cm_re=G.SKILL_8GB_%282_x_4GB%29_204-...

Thank you for being so helpful btw, really need to get this laptop running for school. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,541
Message 6 of 8

Yes.  I would expect no problems

Rich

geoffreyjorden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,515
Message 7 of 8

OK, so I ran into another problem I purchased Corsair Vengence this time made sure it was 1.5v

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Laptop-Memory-CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B006EWUOL8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&...

exact ones I purchased, after installation, same thing is happening except every 2 or 3 restarts it gives me a screen that says "Smiley Sad were sorry your computer has run into a problem and will restart now" for a split second before it restarts, and will loop endlessly, RAM is reading fine in the bios. Any suggestions? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,503
Message 8 of 8

No idea.  I have used that same RAM in similar machines

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors