cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghostofpachuco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,867
Message 1 of 19

Lenovo T520 sleep function lost after upgrading Intel Management Engine Firmware to 7.1.91.3272

Greetings everyone!

I've got a Lenovo T520 running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with Service Pack 1. 

Two days ago I upgraded Intel Management Engine Firmware to version 7.1.91.3272 via Lenovo System Update. Since then my laptop has lost the ability to sleep. When I press the Sleep key my laptop performs an emergency power-off and then asks me if I want to start Windows normally or in the safe mode when I power it up again.

The hybrid sleep function still works, but it takes much longer than just dumping the current session into RAM. 

I tried everything: updated the BIOS firmware (1.46) and the Intel 3000 video card drivers (9.17.10.4229). I have the latest Lenovo Power Manager software (6.68.13) too.

Is there a way to roll back the Intel Management Engine Firmware to an earlier version? 

ghostofpachuco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,764
Message 2 of 19

Re: Lenovo T520 sleep function lost after upgrading Intel Management Engine Firmware to 7.1.91.3272

Follow-up:

It appears that some users managed to restore the sleep function after the same unfortunate Intel Management Engine Firmware upgrade to version 7.1.91.3272 by rolling back their BIOS version to 1.36.

However, the notes to BIOS version 1.46 I've already installed specify that for security reasons it cannot be rolled back to an earlier one. And I cannot downgrade Intel Management Engine Firmware - it just won't work in the manual mode (see screenshot below).

Is there is a way to re-enable the sleep function via the Windows Registry?

Spacezmb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,685
Message 3 of 19

Re: Lenovo T520 sleep function lost after upgrading Intel Management Engine Firmware to 7.1.91.3272

Hello,

I think I have the same issue like the one described in this post, but with my t420 computer. The symptoms are the same: after upgrading the ME firmware to the version 7.1.91.3272 the sleep mode stoped to work and shuts down the computer instead of sleep - it occures if I either push the sleep button in the start menu or just close the lid.

Initially I did not think that the ME and the sleep mode failure are relevant. I thought that it was the result of updating either the bios or the power managment diver. So the first thing I tried to do was downgrading the bios to the older version 1.49 -> 1.46 and downgrading the PM driver, but the issue remained. I have even installed the windows 10, but it did not help as well, so I revert the win 7. Sombody on the forums adviced me to switch off the discrete video card in the bios, so I made. On the next boot I saw the notice "ME is i recovery state..." and the sleep mode started to operate.

In  order to remove the annoying error message about the recovering state of the ME I reflashed the ME controller with the latest firmware (7.1.91.3272) once more. As result the error messaga was gone, but the sleep mode failed to operate again.
This time switching off the desreet video card in bios did not help.

At this point I was certain that the problem was somehow connected with the ME system. Thus the next thing I tried was downgrading the ME firmware with the previous version (7.1.86.1221), but the result was the same - the sleep mode did not start working.

At this point I was not really sure that the verions of the bios or ME affects to the issue. So I upgraded the bios to the version 1.49 as initially and droped the settings to the defaults (pressing F9 in bios). And the next time I booted to windows I saw the notice "ME is in recovery state..." and the sleep mode did work.

The last thing I did was reflashing ME firmware (7.1.91.3272) (I thought may be something gone wrong the very first time and the latest bios has to correspond to the latest ME firmware or something like this) - ME error at the boot time vanished and the sleep mode stopped to work.

To sum up the typing above: it seems that initial flashing ME firmware somehow affected the sleep mode. After downgrading the bios to the v1.46 and fiddling with its settings the ME firmware failed and gone to the recovery state. Then the sleep mode started to work again. After reflashing ME firmware once again the recovery state was gone and the sleep mode was broken. And after upgrading the bios back to the v1.49 and resetting to the default settings the ME recovery state returned and the sleep mode revived. Now after reflashing the ME firmware once more the ME recovery state is gone and sleep mode does not work.

ghostofpachuco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,672
Message 4 of 19

Thanks for the detailed write-up. I re-set the BIOS defaults and somehow the Sleep function has returned to normal: I can use either the regular Sleep (dump to RAM) or the hybrid Sleep (dump to HDD).

Mind you, I did not do anything fancy or utterly technical - just chose the "Load Defaults" option in the BIOS. Now every time I boot up my laptop there is an annoying "ME in recovery state..." message in the top left-hand corner of the screen, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. I still have access to all my hard drive partitions, and the system runs back quite normally.

Let's consider this a happy ending, but I'm definitely going to create a recovery point every time Lenovo Update wants to install a newer version of anything important.

Ronar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,454
Message 5 of 19

Hi,

Try downgrade Intel ME firmware to 7.1.52.1176 version.

This solved the sleep problem in my T420(m/t:4178).

The play with the drivers and BIOS settings not gave solutions to me.

R

Spacezmb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,444
Message 6 of 19

Hello,

Thank you. In my case helped ME firmware downgrade to the version 7.1.80.1214 (83RF43WW). With this firmware the sleep mode works fine and there is no ME error on the boot time. I have the same t420 as you (4178).

ghostofpachuco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,408
Message 7 of 19

Hi!

Thanks for the follow-up. The problem is my T520 is running Windows 7 Pro. The 7.1.52.1176 is for Windows 8. The version for Windows 7 is 7.11.86.1221 which seems to be a later version than the one you are using. I tried installing version 7.11.86.1221, but I still get error messages both upon launching the version checker (long red messages) and the updater - basically the same error message I posted last week. 

So far my system has been working properly - no glitches, not sudden shutdowns or anything of the kind. Since I don't use any of the functionality Intel ME has to offer, I've decided to ignore the boot-up message until I upgrade to Win 10 or migrate to another laptop.

Cheers!

Ronar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,357
Message 8 of 19

Hi,

I have T420 with Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

I did not have any problem when downgrading ME fw to 7.1.52.1176.win_me_ver.JPG

I attached update files for you what I used. Use MEUPDATE.CMD for upgarde/donwgrade.

ghostofpachuco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,345
Message 9 of 19

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, when I run the updater, it stil returns the same annoying error message which reads: "FWUpdLcl.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". This is the message I've been getting ever since ME was updated via Lenovo Updater.
c8a
What's DOS?
Views: 3,261
Message 10 of 19

most probably typo in the command line

i used the method above (downgrading the fw and it works T520/WIN7 pro

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors