Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
8139david
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,161
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T440s: unable to change bios settings

I've just changed the ssd (harddisk) of my Lenovo ThinkPas T440s, then installing Window 8.1 Pro on the new ssd.

To do that, I first changed the bios settings, allowing for legacy boot. Then I powered-off the machine from the bios (Disable Built-in Battery), so as to change the ssd.

Eventually, there was some problem with the bios, so I disconnected manually the internal battery.

Bios: LENOVO GJET89WW (2.39 ) 04/12/2016
Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI
[ This is the lastest bios, obtained here: support.lenovo.com/fr/fr/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T440s/20AQ/CTO1WW/downloads/DS035965 ]

Now, when I enter the bios, I cannot change any setting. How can I fix that?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,124
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad T440s: unable to change bios settings

Do you see a lock signal when you try to enter the BIOS?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
8139david
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,111
Message 3 of 14

Yes.

If I put my old password, it doesn't work.

But if I just type the enter (or return) key, it enters the bios.

8139david
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,100
Message 4 of 14

That was the case.

Now (mysteriously), I can enter my old pass and change the bios settings.

However, if I do "Load default set-up" (including those recommended by manufacturer), exit and save, then:

The computer wants to boot by LAN, which it can't.

The only solution I found is to re-enable Legacy boot-up (option: both Legacy and Uefi).

What can I do to make it work with the recommended settings?

(As said, if load the recommended settings, it doesn't work, since it wants to boot by LAN, and then fail.)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,087
Message 5 of 14

I would need to see the settings, but my guess is that when you installed windows 8.1, the drive was set to be legacy boot and the default is uefi. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

8139david
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,083
Message 6 of 14

Yes, that's right.

So what should I do?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,069
Message 7 of 14

I had a similar situation with a W540 and I intended to upgrade to win 10.  Here's what I did:

Do a full backup.  Run the windows 10 upgrade to get the serial number flagged as being upgraded by microsoft.  Download a fresh copy of windows 10 from microsoft onto a USB stick.  Wipe the hard disk   Set the BIOS to default settings with UEFI only.  Install the fresh copy of windows 10.

Rich

8139david
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,050
Message 8 of 14

Thanks, but I don't want to install Windows 10.

Would what you suggest work if I just reinstalled Windows 8.1 with the bios set as UEFI only?

I was on legacy thinking it was necessary in order to allow boot from usb (for installing from a usb key).

I don't want to go that path, since I have already re-installed everything (which took me several hours all in all).

I would have thought there is a way to work directly either on the bios or on windows 8.1 in order to solve the problem.

Any suggestion?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,047
Message 9 of 14

I don't have direct experience doing what you want to do.  Maybe someone else can help.

Rich

Guru
Views: 2,031
Message 10 of 14

If you installed the OS with Legacy Boot turned on, then you have to keep Legacy Boot on to boot into the operating system. The operating system expects the computer to act as a non-UFEI machine, and will refuse to boot in UFEI mode.

When you changed to UFEI, the BIOS failed to detect an operating system configured for UFEI boot. Thus, it attempted to boot by other means, such as a network boot. 

You can either reinstall with UFEI turned on, or you can load the default settings and then change it to legacy boot.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors