Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ManishRajput
Not applicable
Views: 194
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo ThinkPad T480 - keyboard gets warm

Hi All, 

My '21 days old' ThinkPad T480 - Top of the line machine warms up at the top-left section of the keyboard, just above the vents! 

Lenovo.jpeg

I'm not sure what needs to be done. I raised a complain with the Lenovo Support and the technician who paid a visit today, apparently was ready to replace the motherboard, because he thought that I reported a heating issue with my machine. But that wasn't the case. I'm surprised though that they were ready to replace my machine with a new mother board, without knowing the exact issue. 

Any ways, so all he did was replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, I was okay with that, as I read in many forums that replacing the thermal paste helped reduce the heating issues. 

Its only now that I'm starting to realize, that I don't think its more of a heating issue, but a SERIOUS design flaw in T480 machines. 

The top-left edge portion of the keyboard that which is just above the vents, seems to start warming up within 30 mins of NORMAL usage. I don't see the fan doing its job either, may be its suppose to speed up at very high temps, irrespective, what I think is the problem is that the fan case that is connected to the vents, for some reason the casing touches the vents plastic body and that's transferring the warmness up to the place where ones left palm would naturally rest while typing. 

It warms up to the extent that I can feel its not comfortable for me to type anymore. I've to constantly keep taking my left hand out and give it a break from the continues touch!!!

Any help is highly appreciate.

I LOVE THE MACHINE, but this issue is starting me to HATE it.

Jack_Lenovo1
Not applicable
Views: 122
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad T480 - keyboard gets warm

Hi ManishRajput!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

We would like to check what BIOS version your machine is running on. The latest BIOS version is 1.24 which can be downloaded here https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-.... After installing the BIOS Update follow these instructions

Open BIOS
Go to restart tab
Load setup defaults
Exit Save changes
Test if the machine will still heat up

If this does not help please check if the vents on the machine are blowing out hot air as it is also possible that the vents are blocked (dust or other items) which is the cause for heating issues. Let us know if this works out.

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

ManishRajput
Not applicable
Views: 112
Message 3 of 8

Hi Jack, 

Thank you for your suggestion. 

But it looks like I've already updated my ThinkPad T480 to the latest BIOS verison. 

{"LENOVO - 1240", "N24ET49W (1.24 )", "Lenovo - 1240"}

Also, I'm pretty sure the vents aren't blocked by any dust of any sort. To give you a bit of insight, I'm with the belief that the messhed vents body is made of some kind of alloy/metal, which touches the Laptop casing. So when the processor heats up, the heat is taken up by the pipes and then to the vents and out. But since the vents touch the body of the laptop, the upper left part of the keyboard gets warm to the extent that its uncomfortable for me to rest my palm for longer times. I need to keep taking if off frequently to ensure my palm cools off (ironicaly!). 

Also, I feel when the process and the portion at the bottom is really warm, I don't see the fan even kicking in. I'm not sure at what temps does the fan actually kick in. It not that it does not turn on at all, but I could notice is only in rare occassions. 

Let me know if you need any other information, happy to help. 

Jack_Lenovo1
Not applicable
Views: 108
Message 4 of 8

Hello ManishRajput, Thanks for the information. Since this is the case and the fans do not run there is a high chance that the machine's fans are experiencing hardware issues. We recommend contacting Lenovo Helpdesk for your country of residence just use this link https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist?CID=ww%3Alenovosocial%3A20x9m6 to find the hotline for your country. Let us know if we can help with anything else. Thanks.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

ManishRajput
Not applicable
Views: 98
Message 5 of 8

Hi Jack, 

Thank you for the swift response. 

I just wanted to share this with you and take your inputs, before I contact them again regarding this. 

Here is what I see as Temps and I don't think the fan is turned on yet on my ThinkPad. I can tell, becuase I put my ear at the vents to hear the fan running or feel the hot air blowing out, but that's wasn't the case. Let me know if you think the fan should have kickked in at these temps and I'll bring this up with my local support. 

CPUID_HWMonitor.png

P.S. The charging cable is always connected to the machine, showing 100% charge. I don't think I need to take the cable off when its fully charged. 

Jack_Lenovo1
Not applicable
Views: 95
Message 6 of 8

Hello ManishRajput, Thanks for writing back. The CPU fans are programmed to run randomly when the system needs to cool down. If the machine overheats that would mean that the fans are unable to perform the task properly. To further test this theory put a feather (strand of hair or anything like it) on top of the vents of the machine to see if it will blow out air (Without opening the case of the laptop). If this fails that would mean that this is definitely caused by hardware issues. Let us know how this works out. Thanks.

ManishRajput
Not applicable
Views: 84
Message 7 of 8

Hi Jack, 

Thank you for your respose. Yes, insipte of the extream heat at the bottom of the machine and the warmness around the vents, I don't see the Fan starting. I also placed a torn piece of tissue paper and it stays put, doesn't move flutter or move! 

So, looks like I'll have to contact the local support engineers here and see where it goes from there. I would like to not called this SOLVED yet. I'll keep this thread updated as soon as this is resolved. 

Thanks Again!

Hector_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 71
Message 8 of 8

You can use this link to get the contact details of our support in your region,

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist (Enter Serial Number>Select Region)

The team will further assist you with this concern and provide you repair options in accordance to the warranty of your laptop.

Regards,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors