Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mandyvee77
Blue Screen Again
Views: 48,209
Message 1 of 16

Lenovo Thinkpad T420 trackpad and touchpad right/left click stopped working

So I have had a very... VERY... irritating problem with my Thinkpad.

For the first 6 or so months I had the laptop it worked fine. Then, the left click on the touchpad was functioning like the right click (bringing up a menu). 

I immediately disabled the touchpad and then used the trackpad right and left clicks which worked perfectly.

After another 4 or 5 months, those buttons stopped working altogether. I could still use the touchpad to move the arrow, but I couldn't click on anything.

I bought an external USB mouse and that worked fine for another 2 months. Then for a few weeks, it would work on and off. I'd have to wiggle it around in the USB ports to get the laptop to recognize it. (it had nothing to do with the ports... there were 3 of them and they all worked fine).

Then it stopped working completely, AND, my laptop refuses to acknowledge ANY USB I plug in. 

I have run out of options now. I can't even install anything, download any files from lenovo website. I can't do anything. Does anyone know if it is still salvageable? Has anyone had the same problem?

The lenovo digitizer for tablets.... would that work for this thinkpad? (sorry... not as tech savvy as the rest of you)

Thanks a bunch,

Amanda

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 48,165
Message 2 of 16

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T420 trackpad and touchpad right/left click stopped working

Go into the BIOS (press F1 during the initial bootup) menu then go into CONFIG -> Keyboard/Mouse -> Disable both the TrackPoint and Touch Pad -> press F10 to save and exit.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
scribe
Paper Tape
Views: 47,634
Message 3 of 16

i have the same problem, left click/right click on trackpad and touchpad stopped working - i'm reinstaling drivers - but this didnt help

i'm also turn on and off agian in bios

i'm recovering OS from a restoring point in windows 8.1 - didn't help

but when i'm check this keys in usb live OS (tails i386 and clonzilla) left clik from trackpad is working fine but click keys from touchpad not

any idea? tommorow a will check some fresh instal win 8.1

my backup from last month (clonezilla) also dont make click keys working
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 47,616
Message 4 of 16

@scribe

"click keys" you are referring to is the one keys that you use with trackpoint correct?

Can try to revert to Win 7 to check if problem is cause by drivers or hardware itself?

Also in USB Live OS, is the touchpad working fine?

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
scribe
Paper Tape
Views: 47,608
Message 5 of 16

"click keys" = left click and right click on trackpad and touchpad

in live os (usb version tails-i386) - works only trackpad with his click keys

in clonezilla works trackapd with click keys, tuchpad (but dont works his left/right click)

i will try today instal a new os (win 8.1 x64) - but i have also a backup (1 month old) with fresh install - and click keys also dont works.

my tech spec is t420s 4173CC2, i7, 16gb, 256ssd samsung, win 8.1 x64 pro, drivers for touchpad and track pad is: Thinkpad UltraNav pointing Device (with windows driver for ps/2 mouse also don't work), bios 8CET58WW (1.38 )

LSC didnt find any problems

[edited] the same problem with lenovo? (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X1-touch-pad-amp-trackpoint-not-working/td-p/5... synaptics driver didn't help

edited:

windows 8.1 setup (from usb and dvd) also don't reconize booth click keys (trackpad and touchpad)

im have also check the keyboard connector and is ok (http://support.lenovo.com/en_ID/downloads/detail.page?DocID=PD008513)

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 47,539
Message 6 of 16

@scribe,

Sounds like a OS vs driver issue to me rather than hardware.

If revert back to Win 7 using Lenovo trackpad drivers it works fine i assume?

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
scribe
Paper Tape
Views: 47,238
Message 7 of 16

on win7 recovery cd - trackpad and touchpad also dont work
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 47,223
Message 8 of 16

then you have a hardware problem.

I would test this by disabling TouchPad in the BIOS, and see whether the left and right keys of the TrackPoint works or not. Then re-enable the TouchPad and disable trackpoint, and see whether the TouchPad left or right key works or not.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
kgg
Paper Tape
Views: 46,682
Message 9 of 16

Here was my solution to this. My left click button on both the trackpad and touch pad suddenly stopped working on me. After putting up with this for a few weeks I decided to investigate. I found if I disabled the touch pad the trackpad left click would start to work again. So I investigated by carefully popping off the left click button for touchpad. Everything looked normal, so I investigated a little father buy removing the small round blueish rubber piece in the middle of the button. Once I did this I realized it quite dirty, with a soft cloth and a toothpick I cleaned both the contacts on the PC and the the black spot on the rubber piece, putting everything back together and my left click worked once again. 

The cause of my problem was just a build up of dirt under the rubber contact which caused the button to short out and disable itself. 

I didn't have to reinstall any software or drivers. 

asadsha
What's DOS?
Views: 45,977
Message 10 of 16

Hi kgg,

I think your solution is very sensible. Could you suggest a 'safe' way of removing the touchpad button covers; I'm scared of breaking something.

Thanks and best regards,

asad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors