Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexanderKnijff
What's DOS?
Views: 551
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Thinkpad T420 trackpad and touchpad right/left click stopped working

Hi guys,

I am trying to maintain my doughter's school aptop but encountered something exceding my limited expertise. Since about 10 days the touchpad, buttons and the red thingie stopped working. I have read all the forum issues, uninstalled the drivers and re-installed new ones (first through the lenovo sulotion centre, then the synaptics generic version). About 6 times now. That didn't work. It says "component not present, not working correctly or divers not fully installed, error 24" (translation from Dutch, probably used some incorrect terms).

Running windows 10 on this t420. All worked fine untill this happened. I saw that some new mouse drivers have been installed around the day of malfunction but can't find how or where to remove those (still getting used to this windows 10).

Any suggestions?

RunsWithScissor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 521
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T420 trackpad and touchpad right/left click stopped working

So far, there's just 2 of us with trackpoint / touchpad problems as a result of installing Windows 10. 

My post:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T420-Win-10-Pro-Ultra-Nav-19-00-12-61-Tr...

I've combed through this forum and have no one else reporting these same issues; most are reporting that left and right click buttons are working, but the middle button did not work.  In my case, it was the opposite; the middle button scrolled (albeit very choppy), and the left / right buttons were dead.for my Trackpoint.  It's not a hardware issue, as all buttons function as normal in Win 7, but upon installation of Win 10, the buttons do not work.  I went so far as to do a clean install of Win 10 to ensure there were no conflicts between Win 10 and any leftover Win 7 system files, only to end up with the same old left and right button problems. 

So until the Ultra Nav drivers to enable full functionality of trackpoint / touchpad device, the only solution is to use a physical mouse or revert back to your prior operating system. 

AlexanderKnijff
What's DOS?
Views: 500
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T420 trackpad and touchpad right/left click stopped working

Thanks for your anwser. My case is however slightly different. The computer, touchpach and such have been working fine under windows 10 (altough I haven't tesed all buttons and fuctionalities). At 1-9 or 4-9 there have been some windows mouse driver updates and since then the synaptics stuff didn't start anymore. Looking at your dat eof posting, you might have been using these same drivers. 

Unfortunately I can't find these great new drivers anywhere to delete them...

Probably you are right that I simply have to wait for even better ones. Unfortunately the time to go back to windows 7 or 8.1 has elapsed..

Top Kudoed Authors