cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrayner
Paper Tape
Views: 2,962
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Thinkpad T450s, Sierra EM7345 and Windows 10.

Hi all,

I've really been helped by this forum in the past, and really hope you can help with this issue.

I've installed the card and installed the driver - all of which has gone down without a hitch. The compute recognises the card with no issues. Unfortunately, however, when a simcard is inserted it does not register the simcard whatsoever - 'Insert sim' is still present.

In my searches on this forum it seems this problem is Windows 10 specific - the system does recognise the wireless card but does not recognise the simcard reader. Anecdotally, it seems to work for others when using Windows 7 (although that wouldn't be a fantastic solution in my situation.)

Is there any solution for this?
Thank you in advance for your time and any responses!

Jack

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,943
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T450s, Sierra EM7345 and Windows 10.

Hello, jrayner

win10 doesn't need wwan card's manufacturer drivers for the normal mobile connection, it has a native support that. Additional drivers are needed for the legacy location features via NMEA port, for the custom wwan card virtual devices configuration (like NDIS port etc).

So, the 1st thought modem firmware is outdated. Check it out:
open command prompt window (cmd) and type in the following string
netsh mbn sh cap int=*

Copy and past an output here (remove Device ID for your privacy).

Another version is connection settings, APN mainly. Do you see a cellular network item in the win10 network settings?

Anyway, I hope mobile device em7345 is present in the Device Manager w/out errors.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

jrayner
Paper Tape
Views: 2,938
Message 3 of 5

Wow, what a fast response!!! Thank you so much this is driving me crazy haha.

I do see the Mobile broadband item above my wifi networks on the sidebar. Just checked the device manager and can see the Sierra card in there, double clicked that entry and it says "This device is working properly." Under the driver tab it lists the driver date as 29/10/2015, and the version as: 10.0.10586.0.

Here's what returned from cmd.

Device capability information for interface Mobile broadband:
-------------------------------------------------------
Device type : Mobile Broadband device is embedded in the system
Cellular class : GSM
Voice class : No voice
Sim class : SIM is removable
Data class : GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE
GSM band class : Unknown
SMS capability : PDU receive, PDU send
Control capability : Manual network selection is allowed
USSD support available
Device Id : (REMOVED)
Manufacturer : Sierra Wireless Inc.
Model : Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE
Firmware Information : FIH7160_V1.2_WW_01.1415.07
Maximum activation contexts : 16

Thanks again!!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,917
Message 4 of 5

The fact broadband item is presented in the OS settings, is good. Right click on that item to open settings pane, have a look at the APN setting. Is there any string? Does it match exactly your home mobile operator and tariff, SIM card connected to? BTW, is the SIM card activated, with broadband access contract?

The firmware in your modem is outdated enough. It might be bugy for your case. But might be not. The newest firmware is more stable in the specific cases.

Read this post, if you'd like:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Tablets/Sierra-Wireless-EM7345-Beta-Build-4389/m-p/3282540#M32...

So, you might install the latest fw from this package:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/gtwo45ww.exe
its readme file:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/gtwo45ww.txt

...or use one of the previous, stable, version:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/gtwo42ww.exe
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/gtwo42ww.txt

Thanks to Intel, modem's chipset manufacturer, fw upgrade for this modem is a bit complicated. It can be done in the auto mode if:
- fw loader driver and fw upgrade tool are installed from the package above
- your home operator network IDs (MNC/MCC) are listed in the fw upgrade settings file FLSInformation.xml (find it in the installation folder)
- appropriate sim card is inserted into the reader slot

If the home network is absent, you should perform upgrade in the manual mode, it needs some tricks. We'll do it if you'll decide (don't worry, no riscs).

So, I'd suggest not to install Sierra drivers from that package and use win10 native drivers only, install fw related items I mentioned above. Anyway, if you'll decide, install Sierra drivers w/out drivers for the Selective Suspend Mode (SS).

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Techie1234
What's DOS?
Views: 2,636
Message 5 of 5

I have a follow up:

I want to install a Sierra EM7345 on my T450s.  I paid the exta $30 when I bought it last year to have it be "broadband ready" (have an intenna installed but not the card).

I have the card -- the problem is that when I open up the bottom of the computer I only see two slots on the motherboard, one for the Wifi card and one for the SSD hard drive.  Where's the slot for the Sierra card?

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors