Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovoera
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,951
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Thinkpad T470 - BOOT ISSUES

Hi everybody,

i got stuck with my Lenovo T470. I often have issues to boot.
Sometimes one reboot is enough, other times it takes 5-10 reboots to get the system started.
I'm more successful, when the power plug is plugged in or the computer is in the dockingstation.
I tested it under Windows10 only, dual-boot Windows10 and Ubuntu16.04.02 with grub2 and a bootable USB-Stick with Ubuntu16.04.02.

There are different points to get stuck while booting.
1. Windows10 - Windows Boot Manager
1.1. Get stuck at Lenovo screen, without anything moving.
1.2. Get stuck at Lenovo screen, Microsoft points are moving in a circle.
1.3. Get stuck at Lenovo screen, with Automatic Repair.
2. Dual-boot - Windows10 Ubuntu16.04
2.1 same as Windows10 above
2.2 Get Stuck after grub2 boot menu, while trying to load initramfs.

Attempted solutions:
1. Grub2 update and reinstall grub2 under Ubuntu
2. Ubuntu boot repair yannubuntu
3. Install brand new Windows10 via usb stick with GPT-table
4. Windows 10 Update 01.05.2017
5. Bios Update
6. Install all lenovo drivers manually
7. Install lenovo drivers automatically via Lenovo System Update
8. Install lenovo drivers automatically via Lenovo Companion
9. Lenovo Diagnostics Version 03.10.001 - all tests passed

If you need further informations, please let me know.
What else can I do, before i need to contact the support ?

System Information:
Special Settings: Bios Secure boot disabled, UEFI only, no CSM, fast startup disabled. Different settings tested without success.
*Model: Lenovo T470 20HE
CPU: i7-7500U
RAM: 16GB
MEM: 512GB NVMe SSD, Toshiba
WLAN: Intel 8265, NFC
UEFI BIOS: Package v1.30 - UEFI BIOS UPDATE

Aymeric
What's DOS?
Views: 12,839
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T470 - BOOT ISSUES

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem with my new T470 (bought 15 days ago), but not exactly the same configuration:

M2 SSD 64 Go (Fedora 25 then Ubuntu 17.04)

HDD 1 To with Windows 10...

Last BIOS version, trying diffenrent configuration, same problem: looks like when it's plugged it works, but when i'm on the battery and if the PC was unplugged during 20-30 minutes, I cant't boot on linux, and Windows is as yours :-(

Did you find something, or did you contact the support?

Thx for your help,

Aymeric

HawkeyeQ
Punch Card
Views: 12,836
Message 3 of 7

Hello.

A bad, failing, or inadequate power supply/battery is often the cause of this issue.

If after replacing the power supply you continue to experience the same issue, it is likely that the drive is at fault, and I'd suggest replacing it.

Finally, if the laptop continues to exhibit the same issue after following the above steps, it is likely that the motherboard is defective and needs to be replaced.

Regards,

HawkeyeQ
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur...

----------------------------
Aymeric
What's DOS?
Views: 12,712
Message 4 of 7

Problem solved for me: BIOS to default (F9), just secure boot deactivated, and everythink is fine !

No more boot pb, even on battery....

ThinkpadJunkie
Paper Tape
Views: 12,688
Message 5 of 7

I also have this same issue on my new T470.  It also seems to be related to the battery "Power Bridge" capability which does not work sometimes:

1.  If I boot up the computer without the AC power cord attached, and then I remove the external battery, then sometimes the computer shuts off immeidately (rather than switching to the internal battery, as Power Bridge should).  This does not occur always, but rather 1/3  or 1/2 of the time.

2.  Every time that (1) above results in an immediate shut off, if I then try to reboot again (without power cord attached), then it always hangs indefinitely at the Lenovo splash screen (with the icon below spinning endlessly).  The only way to get out of this hang is to hit the reset button on the back of the computer.

I updated the BIOS to latest (1.30) and all other drivers to the latest and problem still occurs.  I also reset BIOS to default settings. I also ran Lenovo Diagnostics (F10 at reboot) but seemingly everything passed OK.  But Boot Hang and Power Bridge problems still persist.

I called Tech Support.  At first they thought it may have something to do with a faulty internal battery, but then they thought it may be a faulty system board.  They are now thinking they may have to either replace the system board or possibly replace the entire computer for a new one.

Is anyone experiencing these "hang upon Boot" and/or issues with Power Bridge not working and causing immediate shut-off if the external battery is removed on their T470?

dieharddan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,231
Message 6 of 7

I had this same issue as well dual booting linux mint. I found my issue was that windows fast boot and hibernation don't play well with dual boot linux.

Go to power options, and select "choose what closing the lid does" and change all the button settings to either shut down or do nothing, NOT hibernate or no selection at all

then click on "change settings that are currently unavailable" located at the top of the page then deselect "turn on fast startup".

Don't mean to revive an old thread, only posting a possible solution for someone else.

Rainer1957
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,286
Message 7 of 7

Hi everybody,

we got the same stuck up with our Lenovos T470 (issue on 6 Laptop)
Get stuck at Lenovo splash screen, without anything moving.

Sometimes we got this issue after a few days but also after a few weeks.

We use Windows 7 with INTEL Core i5-6200U CPU 2.30GHz

We Fix it already with a Windows 10 Recovery Stick

but we still not know what the issue is.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors