Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

12-11-2015

Cambridge, United Kingdom

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Thinkpad T510 will not boot

2015-12-11, 12:05 PM

Dear Lenovo Community,

I would like to ask for some help as my beloved Lenovo Thinkpad T510 died 2-3 days ago. I was trying to boot it up and it seems that it would no longer boot. When I press the "power on" button on the keyboard, I see the LED on for a very short duration and then it goes off. When I remove the keyboard, I can see that the fan starts speeding up and then all of a sudden stops. A few seconds later, the LED goes on for a very short while along with the fan, and then off again. I cannot even get to the initial boot screen. I wonder what would cause it and how to pin the issue down.

Any help is very much appreciated. I liked my Lenovo laptop even if I have not always handled it as gently as it would have deserved that!

Could it be the motherboard that is faulty, or perhaps the VGA card? The laptop has no beeps, so I cannot assume which part of the self-test fails if it is the self-test at all!

Thank you very much in advance, L.

Options

12951 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17885 Signins

178185 Page Views

• Views: 178185
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T510 will not boot

2015-12-11, 12:12 PM
Welcome, lpapp

It might be a RTC battery (CMOS battery) issue. Try to replace it, or simly disconnect it for the boot test. Note, you'll lost current BIOS settings (date, time..)

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

4 Posts

12-11-2015

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2015-12-12, 12:34 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply. I tried disconnecting the RTC after removing the palmrest as you suggested, but I can still observe the same symptom.

What would be the next step to check?

Just to simplify, I removed the hard disk, CD/DVD reader/writer, and memories. It still would not boot having the same problem as before.

Options

12951 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17885 Signins

178185 Page Views

• Views: 178185
  • Message 4 of 5

2015-12-12, 13:12 PM
Did you perform anything, e.g.BIOS upgrade, OS reinstallation etc., before laptop stopped boot up?

Also, the dust on the motherboard circuites, components might cause issue, especially near to the processor, power circuites.

Is the laptop behavior similar with both the battery and charger connected, separately?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

4 Posts

12-11-2015

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2015-12-12, 13:33 PM

I got out the keyboard for cleaning as it had become a bit dirty and the keys were a bit sticky.

Also, for one week or so, I forgot to put the cover back on the back and then it was sitting on my bed without that on.

I have not used batteries for a while as my last battery died after 2-3 years of good use. It would not last for more than 5-10 minutes. I have not yet bothered to buy a new battery as I always had a power connector socket  around me.

I have not done any software modification before the laptop stopped booting up.

There was actually one symptom before it stopped booting. 1-2 boots earlier, it got stuck at the initial boot screen and then it would not proceed. I tried to turn the computer off and then turn it on again after a few hours of rest. It booted up, but then I got the situation where I am now after another power off and power on session.

I am now looking into the processor and its BGA. and everything in there. I am trying to  identify the chips, etc. It would be nice to at  least localize which chip is broken and cannot be recovered if any.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms