Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsander
Punch Card
Views: 361
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock crashing with Thinkpad T480s

I recently received a ThinkPad T480s for my work PC and a Thunderbolt 3 Dock. I'm loving the laptop, but the dock is having some troubles. I'm worried either the dock is bad or worse, the laptop's Thunderbolt hardware is bad.

The dock will cut out and appear to crash on certain occasions. I'm still trying to experiment with the triggers. I'm not 100% sure, but it appears that while I'm using it everything works fine - so long as I keep the laptop awake. It's when the ThinkPad goes to sleep or I leave my desk for a long enough time that the screens will have appeared to drop out. Or after the laptop has gone to sleep and I wake it up, then a few minutes later the dock crashes.

For the most part the issue resolves itself once the dock power cycles and the displays come back up, but the last time this happened the screen was frozen and I had to do a hard shutdown of the laptop by holding the power button.

My dock is pretty heavily loaded. It has the following peripherals attached:

• 2 DVI monitors with DVI to DisplayPort converterr connected to the dock
  • 1 VGA monitor
  • Ethernet connection
  • Keyboard USB
  • Mouse USB
  • Audio Out

All monitors plus the docking powersupply are connected to the same powerstrip.

The closest post resembling my issue is this one: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Displays-Options-and-Accessories/Thunderbolt-3-Dock-crashes-and-emits-c...

But it doesn't appear to have been fully solved.

I've updated the ThinkPad's Thunderbolt drivers and firmware, but I have not been able to update the Dock's firmware. I think the update tools require admistrative privileges and my work is a little strict about those kinds of things.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Do you guys think I should get the dock and ThinkPad replaced? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bsander
Punch Card
Views: 247
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock crashing with Thinkpad T480s

I'm bumping this thread as I am unsatisfied that this has received no attention from folks at Lenovo.

Between my original post and today I have had the following take place.

1. I have had my entire system board replaced by a Lenovo technician.

2. I have had my laptop battery replaced by a Lenovo technician.

3. I have updated all drivers and Firmware to the highest available version I can find.

The issue still persists. The Thunderbolt 3 dock will crash and take ~30 seconds to come up again, sometimes resulting in my PC itself to crash as well.

Regarding (3), can somebody please explain to me why the hell the Firmware flashing tool for the dock is nearly impossible to find? I had to rely on this thread to find any kind of information.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Displays-Options-and-Accessories/Thinkpad-Thunderbolt-3-dock-firmware-u...

At this point I am prepared to abandon Lenovo permanently as this has been one of the most frustrating experiences I have had to undergo involving any Laptop product.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 239
Message 3 of 6

@bsander wrote:

I'm bumping this thread as I am unsatisfied that this has received no attention from folks at Lenovo.

Regarding (3), can somebody please explain to me why the hell the Firmware flashing tool for the dock is nearly impossible to find? I had to rely on this thread to find any kind of information.

Hi,

I'm not "from Lenovo"  and I'm afraid I can't address your issue Smiley Sad  As a reminder, while  there is some Lenovo presence here, this is primarily a peer-to-peer venue.

For future reference, entering "Thunderbolt 3 Dock" in the search box at SUPPORT (above) brings up three possibilities.  I don't know which specific dock you have, but perhaps that's a place to find the firmware.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 120
Message 4 of 6

Dear customers,

I'd like you to follow the below steps to find the option product's document and software download site

1. Visit Lenovo Technical Support site

2. Type "Thunderbolt" to Search Support field, this site will display some cadidates and select "ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock"

3. When jump to "Thunderbolt 3 Dock" site, select "Drivers&Software" at the upper blue links area

4. You can find the "Product Firmware" entry and can download the dock firmware

You can find other options drivers&software by changing keyword at step 2.

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 117
Message 5 of 6

Dear customer,

We are sorry about the trouble to you.

Firstly, let me double confirm which Thunderbolt 3 Dock you are using, from the link, i guess it's  40AC not 40AN, correct ?

Then, to answer your question, there is one driver link printed in the belly lable on the bottom cover of dock (www.lenovo.com/support/docks ). After you enter this URL in browser, it will redirect to Lenovo Dock Support page. and you can find the right dock by part number.

We will try to see if we can reproduce the crashing issue in our side , will come back to you later.

Sincerely yours.

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 41
Message 6 of 6

Dear Customer,

We failed to reproduce this issue in our lab.

Could you help provide more detailed information for us ? Such as the picture of your dock PN, and a shot video of your failure symptom and setup environment .

Thank you in advance.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors