Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
achronis
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,454
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo t480s (20L7) black screen after lock/hibernate

Hi forums,

I am an IT professional supporting a business laptop refresh from older Dells to Lenovo t480s (20L7) laptops. For Bitlocker best practices and per our InfoSec team's directives we set our computers to hibernate whenever they would otherwise sleep. 

We have noticed that several freshly imaged computers, with all Lenovo System Update drivers installed, and with the SCCM driver package from the Lenovo site installed, will show a black screen after resuming from hibernate. The laptop backlight and Function key lights are on, the power button is lit up, and the fan does spin, but the screen is black, no backlight, and the laptop is totally unresponsive until a hard reboot (hold the power button). Interestingly, the system cannot be pinged or remoted into while in this state, and opening/closing the lid has no effect. 

Has anyone seen anything similar to this, or know what might be the cause? 

Thank you in advance.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,398
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo t480s (20L7) black screen after lock/hibernate

Dear customer,

In order to understand the system environment, I'd like to know below information.

- Windows version?:

- BIOS version?:

- Do you apply company specific BIOS settings?

- Symptom will change when perform "load default" at BIOS Setup?

- Video Driver version?:

- SCCM package name your IT team selected to deploy?:

nekingll1919
Paper Tape
Views: 1,388
Message 3 of 9

I have the same issue with my t450s for a long time.

after hibernate,laptop was awake as keyboard lights on,cpu's fan is on,fingerreader is on ,I can hear the login windows sound by using fingerprint.But the screen is black. no dispaly.

Sometimes screen goes back when I push it to 180 degaree:flat screen. Now this trick doesn't work.Have to do a hard restart.

Windows 10

no specific BIOS settings

nekingll1919
Paper Tape
Views: 1,376
Message 4 of 9

Here is my system information

Windows version: Wiondow 10 Home 1803

Video driver verison: intel Corporation 20.19.15.4963   2/21/2018

Bios version:JBET70WW (1.34)

The screen goes black and won't on again when I install the  Video driver,but the system is running; have to do a hard restart and push screen 180 degree flat.

The screen goes black and won't on  when I normally use and restart windows, Have to do a hard restart and push screen 180 degree flat.

The screen just can't back to work from a black screen for any reasons:suck as hibernate ,restart,power saving shut of screen.

The only thing can wake screen up is power off and power on again then push screen 180 degree.

It seems that make screen flat is the key to light the screen on.

Any suggestion are welcome.

Thank you.

achronis
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,373
Message 5 of 9

Hi Rydeen,

The Windows version is Windows 10 1709 build 16299.665.

The BIOS version is N22ET48W (1.25 ).

The only change to default BIOS settings is to enable MAC passthrough for the  and enable pre-boot Thunderbolt. I will revert to default and see if that causes users to stop having this issue.

The Video Driver version is Intel UHD Graphics 620 24.20.100.6223.

We are currently deploying tp_t480s_w1064_201712.exe which our documentation has listed as version 1.8.

I do not believe this issue is consistent with the other commenter in this thread, as our issue occurs regardless of screen orientation - I would diagnose their issue as a failing display cable if specific orientations allow the system to work. 

Thank you for your time!

CRHDrumG
What's DOS?
Views: 630
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

I am having the same issue - my T480s screen stays black after waking up from sleepp.

The computer is on and running, and when I attached to an external monitor the external monitor display will work. 

The laptop screen does not come on though.

Please help me to resolve!

Thanks,

Chris

iarjunk
Punch Card
Views: 209
Message 7 of 9

Hello,

Have you found a solution to this issue?

T&R

Arjun

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 203
Message 8 of 9

Hi! It seems the drivers mentioned were not up to date. For you to be able to install all the updates available, you can use the Think Vantage. Run the update and install all available updates. Update us how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

iarjunk
Punch Card
Views: 181
Message 9 of 9

Hello,

All drivers are upto date using Lenovo Vantage.

T&R

Arjun

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors