Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sltherkildsen
Paper Tape
Views: 275
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo t520 has problems when the lid is opened. Help ?

My good friend a thinkpad / lenovo from 2011 suddenly gives death screen, dead keyboard, dead camera. All when the lid is opened. If it is placed in docking with external equipment, everything works ok. I have tested everything possible through lenovo services without errors. The motherboard also provides a flawless return message. Since the problem covers both screen, keyboard and camera, it tells me that it must be a 'closed / open' contact that no longer works. Hope some help with some good hints so I can move on ????. At worst, I have to kill my old friend .. a big loss and not so good for the global environment Smiley Happy Many greetings from Soeren Denmark .. good new year.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 253
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo t520 has problems when the lid is opened. Help ?

There is a Hall sensor (magnetic switch) in the lid and a magnet in the palmrest.  I don't have a T520 to look at,, but if I remember, the sensor is halfway up the left edge of the screen, mounted on the hinge arm.  I would suggest taking a little screw or something iron and sliding it around the palmrest/keyboard bezel and the screw will snap to the magnet.  On the lid, the sensor is wherever that spot hits on the bezel.   First, look in the event log and see if there is an error message.  I would also reinstall the power management driver.  If you are not running windows 10, reinstall the power manager.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sltherkildsen
Paper Tape
Views: 191
Message 3 of 8

Hi Rich Many thanks for your hints. I have checked the magnet sensor on the left edge of the lid (correct - the magnet bites on). Also has reinstalled power management. This does not improve the problem. As mentioned, the machine runs fine with external equipment. Think my machine sees the lid as closed, and still can't quite understand why. Think the error is in the hardware. I work with some exclusion tests comparing the process in a x201 .. Returns after New Year. .. Happy New Year Smiley Happy

sltherkildsen
Paper Tape
Views: 173
Message 4 of 8

IMG_3476.JPG

sltherkildsen
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 5 of 8

Hi Rich .. I have now messed up with the beast and it is the hall sensor that sits on the left side of the screen that is defective. I discovered it when I took the plug from the motherboard (see picture). When plugged in, the machine thinks the lid is closed. In short, the problem is located and I just need to find out a new sensor. Thanks for your hints. Sincerely, Søren

sltherkildsen
Paper Tape
Views: 141
Message 6 of 8

Well, unfortunately, my problem was not solved anyway. Has changed HALL sensor with new LED cable. Every time I put the plug in the socket card, the screen goes out (keyboard too). It probably indicates that the motherboard has an error? .. are there any who have tried this situation ?? Smiley Happy

Well, unfortunately, my problem was not solved anyway. Has changed HALL sensor with new LED cable. Every time I put the plug in the socket card, the screen goes out (keyboard too). It probably indicates that the motherboard has an error? .. are there any who have tried this situation ?? Smiley Happy  

As a temporary solution I have disconnected the socket and then runs without bluetooth, camera and light .. but Screen and keyboard work.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 127
Message 7 of 8

Years ago, I had a similar situation with a T420 (VERY similar machine) and I was never able to fix it.  I also unplugged the cable until I could replace the machine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sltherkildsen
Paper Tape
Views: 120
Message 8 of 8

Hi Rig

thanks for information on the problem. It tells me that I have to live with the machine until I find a new one, or (alternatively) runs into an extremely cheap motherboard. It will take some time to change it and the machine approaches retirement age.

But the postive I have got to know the machine better inside .. reasonably easy to go to Smiley Happy

Thanks for now .. Sincerely Søren

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors