cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlankDesu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,394
Message 1 of 8

LenovoT470P can't communicate with fingerprint sensor... (have tried a lot found online)

Hello everyone,

After searching all day yesterday and a few hours today, I'm out of options that I can find online to solve my issue.

I have a T470P Lenovo Thinkpad and I'm configuring this laptop for a colleague to use.

The laptop is running Windows 7 SP1 which is giving me some complications since most of the hardware (as far as I understand is meant for Windows 10). The fingerprint sensor is not responding and never has responded yet (broken from the start).

The solutions I have tried :

-Installing windows 7 drivers for fingerprint scanners from Lenovo

-Installing the synaptic drivers via Lenovo for Windows 7 

-Installing the windows 10 synaptic drivers from lenovo (or metallic driver something? Sorry the name has slipped past me)

-Installing the windows 10 fingerprint scanner drivers (gave an error due to the laptop not being W10)

-Windows update completely

-Installing Intel drivers through the auto-driver program provided by Intel

-Disabling automatic driverupdates through local GPO, uninstalling the fingerprint software / drivers (I might have done uninstalled/reinstalled wrong specifig drivers since I'm still unsure if I should be using W10 or W7 drivers).

-Resetting fingerprint data through BIOS.

Everytime I try to use the software, the moment I press a finger to bind it says it cannot communicate with the sensor. 

If I can provide any more needed info / follow any possible steps please let me know, I will respond as soon as responses come in.

Thank you in advance everyone

Greets

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,366
Message 2 of 8

Re: LenovoT470P can't communicate with fingerprint sensor... (have tried a lot found online)

hi

How does FPR device look in Device Manager, in "Biometric devices" category? The title and status.

UPD

Are there unknown devices without drivers installed ("Other devices" category) or with errors?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

BlankDesu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,359
Message 3 of 8

Re: LenovoT470P can't communicate with fingerprint sensor... (have tried a lot found online)

Hello!

Thank you for your response.

I've added in attachments how the biometric device looks / how it's shown in the device manager. 

You can also see the status of the device.

As you can see in the attachment there are no unknown devices present.

As a temporary solution I have installed Authentec, which is picking up my fingerscanner. I don't think that's supposed to be the permanent solution tho?

Thank you in advance

Greets

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,353
Message 4 of 8

Thanks.

My assumption about issue you faced is an Intel SGX (Software Guard Extensions) influence, its setting in BIOS Setup. By default, it's "Software Controlled". It means Intel SGX sw and FPR sw should be installed. But win7 image doesn't include those drivers.

So, for win7 disable that feature. Drivers for FPR are there:
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS121020

Do not pay attention T470p is missing in the list of supported systems. x270 and T470p FPR devices are the same, their USB IDs match.

If the BIOS Setup option for SGX will be "Software Controlled", Intel SGX sw might be needed, but Lenovo site doesn't provide that one. Intel download center shows SGX as a part of Intel ME Interface sw. Win7 drivers for T470p on Lenovo site doesn't offer them. So, there isn't clear advice from me, sorry.

In my case (T470p too), with that default feature, FPR didn't work even under win10 without drivers installed. Now SGX is enabled in BIOS Setup, FPR drivers from Lenovo site are installed without additional SGX sw from Intel. But it's win10 Creator.

FYI
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT504410

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

BlankDesu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,345
Message 5 of 8

Yes! 

At long long LONG last. This has actually solved it. I disabled the intel SGX in the boot and I could finally use the lenovo fingerprint software you provided me. Thank you so much Smiley Happy

Greets

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,340
Message 6 of 8

You are welcome )
Glad to see the result you need.

If you'll decide to add SGX capabilities further (read about that technology) via BIOS settings and Intel SGX sw, please, post your experience here.

jeromylul71
What's DOS?
Views: 2,332
Message 7 of 8

Also got this problem recently. Thanks for the solution. Will try that again. Cheers!

orangehuang
Punch Card
Views: 2,301
Message 8 of 8

T470p is not included in the supported list probably because Lenovo didn't ship Win7 Edition for T470p at all.

So by default T470p might be shipped with Win10 OS.

Then if Win10 OS is replaced to be Win7 intentionally, some unexpected issue may appear. Anyway we could try to fix it by ourselves or wait for the online reply from Lenovo guys.

Lenovo Touch Fingerprint Software for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad T470, T470s, T570, P51s, X270, X1 Carbon

Supported ThinkPad Systems

• ThinkPad T470  (Machine types: 20JM, 20JN)
  • ThinkPad T470s (Machine types: 20JS, 20JT)
  • ThinkPad T570  (Machine types: 20JW, 20JX)
  • ThinkPad P51s  (Machine types: 20JY, 20K0)
  • ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Machine types: 20K3, 20K4)
  • ThinkPad X270 (Machine types: 20HM, 20HN, 20K5, 20K6)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors