Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanyile
Paper Tape
Views: 793
Message 1 of 13

Lost data from recovery partition

hi,guys.

I got a problem now, I install a free software a week ago, then when login the windows, always had a babylon 9 advertisement pop up at the right coner of the screen, so i use the anti -malware to remove it ,unfortunately it didn't work

even worse I lost the total data of q recovery  partition,

my questions are how to remove the disturbing ad.  and how to back up the system.  

thanks 

Q-Ball
Token Ring
Views: 773
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lost data from recovery partition

First, some info:

What anti-malware program are you using?

Also, did you create restore disks when you first used the system?

What free software did you download and install (the name of the program that keeps creating the ad)?

I'm assuming that 'Q:' just doesn't show up in 'Computer', correct?

Can you tell me what happens when you go into Start>Search for 'Computer Management'>Storage>Disk Management? Do you see 3 blue boxes in total, and is one of them labeled 'Lenovo Recovery'?

Finally, what version of Windows are you using, and on what kind of Thinkpad?
Ryanyile
Paper Tape
Views: 767
Message 3 of 13

the program is malwarebyte
the free software is freerapid. I am not sure the ad from it or not. my other software are all genuine.

no, I can see Q:, but can not see any data and file.
that shows me "the folder is empty"

I can see one of the bule boxes , by the way . i used the shink to get extend partition D:

my version is windows7 family premium 64 bit sp1

Q-Ball
Token Ring
Views: 764
Message 4 of 13

I think uninstalling FreeRapid will solve your ad problem- ads shouldn't be appearing from any other program. I don't believe that the antimalware would actually pick that up since it's a program that apparently does something useful.

You should be able to get rid of it by searching for 'Programs and Features' in the Start Menu, finding that program in the list and uninstalling it. It (hopefully) won't leave behind any remnants.

Anyways, now onto Q:

What's the partition configuration of your hard drive (how many partitions and how big)? I think that Q: doesn't seem to like it when it's resized.
Also, it doesn't ask you about creating any recovery disks when you try to open Q: by clicking on its icon in the main window?

Did you create a recovery DVD(s)? If you did, then I think Q: empties itself after you create the media or hit "Recover disk space". I only have one file in that drive anyways and I haven't made those disks.

As for backups, you can use Windows Backup (search Backup and Restore in the Start Menu). You just have to set it up once and the program will do the rest.
Ryanyile
Paper Tape
Views: 762
Message 5 of 13

i just did a boot data backup when i first time use. but it is a very small file. how is difference between boot data and media data

and how can I get the widows 7 dvd to reinstall the system?
the backup file can auto play ? if i reinstall the system?
Q-Ball
Token Ring
Views: 745
Message 6 of 13

The gist of Windows Backup is this:

If the machine fries, you still have all your data.

I believe that Lenovo has their own backup utility (in Control Panel- I think it's called 'Enhanced backup') which I believe works similarly. You might want to give that a look-over as well.

What program did you use to do this 'boot data backup'?
Ryanyile
Paper Tape
Views: 741
Message 7 of 13

just the first time i click the Q:.
that show me two choices , boot data or media data backup
I chose the boot data ,but it is only more than 200m file.
i think it can't use to reinstall the system.
Q-Ball
Token Ring
Views: 718
Message 8 of 13

You do realize there's more to that partition, right? It should say something like '2.68 of 9.76 GB free'. Pretty much everything is hidden from the user in that utility, though Windows reports the partition as having some stuff on it.
I can't imagine a partition utility offering to destroy data to resize partitions on a drive, so I'm assuming that the Q drive is completely intact.

Also, you never did tell me exactly what kind of Thinkpad you had. T400? T400s? T500?

And did looking in Programs and Features pull the program?
Ryanyile
Paper Tape
Views: 702
Message 9 of 13

my thinkpad is t410
'2.23 of 9.76 GB free " in my computer.
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 696
Message 10 of 13

Type "recovery" into the start menu, you should see a program to create restore discs, run that and make your recovery set.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors