Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Apophyllite
Paper Tape
Views: 401
Message 1 of 6

Low wattage issue T480 after dock firmware update

Dear all,

having just updated my the firmware of my Ultra Dock (40AJ0135EU) via Lenovo Vantage to V5.0.6.1, there is now something truly wrong with the power supply; on startup, I am greeted by the famous "low wattage" screen and when using windows, the battery is slowly drained (Lenovo Vantage claims that a 25 W USB-C adapter would be connected instead of the 135 W one). The issue never occurred prior to the firmware update and consistently shows up for any other power cable (trying several ones, including 90 W). So while the "low wattage" screen is annoying, the more severe issue is the constantly drained battery which makes using the dock basically impossible over time.

Any ideas? I did not find a way to undo the firmware update - or is the recommendation to wait and hope for yet-another firmware update that (may) solve the issue? Maybe someone has a similar issue and a better / working solution Smiley Happy

Thx!

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 386
Message 2 of 6

Re: Low wattage issue T480 after dock firmware update

By chance did airplane power mode get turned on?

The only way I know to check this is in the Lenovo "Vantage" tool

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Apophyllite
Paper Tape
Views: 366
Message 3 of 6

Good point, but no: knowing that this can be an issue (Yoga etc.), I checked that this function is deativated (I also activated it, deactivated it thereafter, still with no effect to the problem).

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 355
Message 4 of 6

Dang .... that was the only "bullet" I had .... sorry.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 321
Message 5 of 6

What else have been updated besides the dock's firmware?  I've read reports from users having all sorts of issue with USB-C and PD after bios updates etc.   If you have an USB-C AC adapter available try charging laptop undocked and see if AC adapter is identified correctly.

You could try flashing the  Thunderbold Firmware manually, maybe try the same with dock's firmware as well. Flash only one FW at a time and reboot or better power down before attempting the other firmware upgrade.

Apophyllite
Paper Tape
Views: 305
Message 6 of 6

... no further updates were installed, just the dock FW was updated. But thanks for your feedback and input Smiley Happy

Here is the current status and my solution:

The firmware update V5.0.6.1 for the ultra docking station had created the low-wattage issue; the "airplane mode" function was not to blame / did not solve the problem. Using from another ultra dock yet another 135 W power supply solved the problem although two other 135 W power supply adapters had not worked. By trying different adapters and comparing three different ultra docks, I also found something noteworthy: prior to V5.0.6.1, the ultra dock worked, too, with lower wattage adapters (esp. 90 W) - after V5.0.6.1, this does definetely not work anymore.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors