Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
method
Paper Tape
Views: 4,657
Message 1 of 8

Memory upgrade, Thinkpad T410s won't boot

Hello

I initially purchased Patriot Memory 8GB KIT 1333MHz DDR3 to replace the 4 GB it had initially. When I did this, the T410s would not boot. I then returned the memory and purchased Corsair PC10666 RAM - 8GB, (2x4GB), DDR3, 1333MHz, SODIMM Laptop Memory, Class 9 (CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9). Again, it would not boot. 

So, I updated the BIOS to 1.49 and tried again. It would not boot. I then tried one 4 GB stick, and received the blue screen. I did check the BIOS and it showed 4096 MB. I tried both slots. 

I'm not sure what to do, Please help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,637
Message 2 of 8

Re: Memory upgrade, Thinkpad T410s won't boot

Did it previously have 2 X 2gb? What operating system? I have used those brands successfully in similar machines, although sometimes there are problems with a particular brand in a particular machine. I have never had a problem with corsair vengeance RAM.

BTW, CL 9 isn't class. It is CAS latency, and CAS stands for column address strobe. In English, it refers to how fast the memory responds.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
method
Paper Tape
Views: 4,622
Message 3 of 8

@richk wrote:

Did it previously have 2 X 2gb? What operating system? I have used those brands successfully in similar machines, although sometimes there are problems with a particular brand in a particular machine. I have never had a problem with corsair vengeance RAM.

BTW, CL 9 isn't class. It is CAS latency, and CAS stands for column address strobe. In English, it refers to how fast the memory responds.

Yes, it was 2X2 GB. Operating system is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have no problems with the older RAM, just when I put in the 2X4 GB.

As for the "Class 9", I have no clue, just put in the description of the RAM from here

I used the memory selector from their website and assumed it was correct. I'm not sure what I can do or how to check if it's the system or the RAM. 

Is it possible it could be Windows related? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,615
Message 4 of 8

If your boot disk is too full, there might be a problem. More memory translates to a larger paging file and a larger hibernation file.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 4,596
Message 5 of 8

See 2x4GB RAM on T410 doesn't work for a likely explanation.

The new modules are made by Samsung (labeled as such, and chips marked SEC = Samsung Electronics Corporation), and were procured through the Dell spare parts and upgrades channel. The only notable difference vs. the KingMax modules I purchased aftermarket is that the Samsung modules have 16 chips, 8 on each side, while the KingMax have 8 chips in total, 4 on each side. Other than that, there's no other difference on the label: both brands have the same standards printed, same speed (1333 MHz, CL9) etc.

This leads me to think that the KingMax modules have high-density chips which are not compatible with the laptop - actually, the memory controller in the processor is what I'm suspecting. The Samsung chips are lower-density and work flawlessly.

Paper Tape
Views: 4,590
Message 6 of 8

Hi I am in the same boat as OP. I just purchased 2x4GB kingston 1600 sticks. I know that they get under clocked as I think the t410 maxes out at 1033.

When I try one stick on the laptop everything works perfectly from both the slots. Each stick also seems to be working fine. Just when I put both in after the boot screen I am given an option for normal,safe mode and memory test.

The two boot options leads to the laptop resetting, while the memory test fails. The BIOS will also show the 8GB installed

any ideas? Don't mean to hijack the thread just no point in making 2 the same.

Cheers

method
Paper Tape
Views: 4,579
Message 7 of 8

@hausman wrote:

See 2x4GB RAM on T410 doesn't work for a likely explanation.

The new modules are made by Samsung (labeled as such, and chips marked SEC = Samsung Electronics Corporation), and were procured through the Dell spare parts and upgrades channel. The only notable difference vs. the KingMax modules I purchased aftermarket is that the Samsung modules have 16 chips, 8 on each side, while the KingMax have 8 chips in total, 4 on each side. Other than that, there's no other difference on the label: both brands have the same standards printed, same speed (1333 MHz, CL9) etc.

This leads me to think that the KingMax modules have high-density chips which are not compatible with the laptop - actually, the memory controller in the processor is what I'm suspecting. The Samsung chips are lower-density and work flawlessly.

I will try this and report back. Just need to find them. 

method
Paper Tape
Views: 4,578
Message 8 of 8

@richk wrote:
If your boot disk is too full, there might be a problem. More memory translates to a larger paging file and a larger hibernation file.

I'm not sure how to check this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors