Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibarratt
What's DOS?
Views: 593
Message 1 of 6

Mobile Broadband Sim

I have just purchased a Lenovo T420s with the built in mobile broadbank option.  I don't seem to have received a sim with my package, is that normal?  Any suggestions as to the best place to pick one up?

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 584
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mobile Broadband Sim

Did you configure it with the Gobi 3000 card? If you did call Lenovo and they should send you out the missing SIM card. Hit Fn+F5 and check for the Wireless WAN option in there.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 581
Message 3 of 6

ibarratt wrote:

I don't seem to have received a sim with my package, is that normal?  Any suggestions as to the best place to pick one up?

In Australia there is no SIM supplied with 3G capable ThinkPads, and I expect the delivery configurations for the UK to be much more like those in Australia than those in the US. 

In any case you will need a SIM from your desired 3G provider to be able to use the device for WWAN... there are no generic SIMs.

If you just want to use the GPS functionality and nothing else, just about any SIM for any device that has been previously activated will do... it doesn't matter if the SIM active now or not.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 572
Message 4 of 6

You don't need a SIM to use the GPS, I have tested this with my Gobi 2000 in my T510. I'm sure the Gobi 3000 works the same.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 568
Message 5 of 6

JDay wrote:

You don't need a SIM to use the GPS

You might not, but others might.... there are 4 different 3G cards that are supplied across various global markets.

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 511
Message 6 of 6

@billbolton wrote:

@JDay wrote:

You don't need a SIM to use the GPS

You might not, but others might.... there are 4 different 3G cards that are supplied across various global markets.

GPS does not use the SIM card, it is not needed to use the GPS functionality of any Gobi card. In fact those cards don't even require a SIM card in order to be used since they also work on CDMA networks. You only need a SIM card if you are operating the GSM portion of the card.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors