cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wombat1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 332
Message 1 of 10

Mobile Broadband....need help - its gone...!

OK, I asked a question before and got one response...but not answers.

This should be simple.

1. I have been using the mobile broadband on my T410 for 3 years. It worked fine.

2. I did a major windows update.

3. Mobile broadband has gone. There is nothing! COmputer says there is no sim card. (there is a sim card and I reinserted it)

4. FN F5 bring up no mobile broadband.

5. I am paying my $30/ month and have had nothing for past 4 months!!! its killing me.

6.  It worked once for 3 years. Now it does not work. I tried reinstaling the software and it gets almost rhrough and says "There is no mobile sim card installed in this computer"!! Ugggh!!!!

7. Lenovo support is useless. Even tho I only annoyed them one time with a problem in 3 years of service contract, my contract ended a couple months ago....so no help there....I have spoken to a dozen people and none have a clue what to do.

Surely someone out there has seen or heard about this? My computer cannot be convinced that mobile broadband should be allowed to work!!   HELP!

Billaboard
Punch Card
Views: 295
Message 2 of 10

Re: Mobile Broadband....need help - its gone...!

I'm the person who responded before.

Could anyone who has mobile broadband and who has kept all the various Microsoft and Lenovo updates current tell us that their WWAN is still working?

It seems odd if Wombat and I both had a hardware failure at the same update time, but I suppose it could happen.

PS My card is an Ericsson 3507

Clavain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 276
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

I am not familiar with you computer or even that much with Wlan.  But maybe I can help you a little.

I would check if the mobile broadband card is showing with out errors in the Device Manager.

If this is not so correct this first.

For example if the card is completely misssing, remove and reseat in its slot, checking the connectors for dirt, damage etc.

While you are in there check that the antennae cables are sitting properly.

If the card doesn't show, you probably have a dead card.

Replace it, annoying but a least you will be moving ahead.

If the card is showing with a yellow triangle, you have a driver issue.  Correct this next.

Install latest drivers.  Get them from lenovo, or the card's manufacturer.

so now lets say you have a working card but you get a SIM error from the OS.

Maybe the SIM is Kaputt.  Take it out and stick it into a mobile phone.  See if the mobile phone accepts the card and the PIN (I am assuming you have an old, SIM unlocked mobile phone lying around). You don't need anything fancy, we just want to see if the SIM is working, if you still have the correct PIN etc.  The phone should accept the card and connect to the network (if it is not locked) we just want to see if you have a working SIM, correct PIN etc.

If that doesn't work then you might have a broken SIM.  Replace it.

If the SIM is working, and the card is working, and the drivers are correct, check the seating between the SIM card and the mobile broadband module, maybe there is an issue there.

Still not working?....

Need coffee....

Will think about it, but you have something to be getting on with.

Hope that helps a little, if nothing else at least some one replied :-) ;-)

Clavain

Billaboard
Punch Card
Views: 258
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the reply, Clavain. 

In my case, the WWLAN card no longer shows at all in Device Manager. I have also loaded a Ubuntu Linux Live CD and run the command lspci, which seems to show no card (should it?).

I have now ordered a replacement Ericsson card and will report back when it arrives and is installed in my X200.

wombat1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 244
Message 5 of 10

Thanks Clavain - I will try the sim in the phone - great idea. One thing at a time i Guess. Appreciate the response....thought myself and Billaboard were the ONLY people in the world unable to get the MObile to work,,,,,come to think of it we ARE!
best
Clavain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 235
Message 6 of 10

Glad to be of some little help.

I'm looking forward to the progress report. Smiley Happy

Clavain

Billaboard
Punch Card
Views: 229
Message 7 of 10

The new Ericsson card makes no difference.

The situation is that I used to be able to see the name and type of Ericsson card. I believe this was in Device Manager, although it might have been in a program called Belarc Advisor that I had been running. The same evening, I went out and purchased a Vodaphone sim card, rebooted the machine and let it install the normal Microsoft (weekly?) updates.

I then could find no trace of any Ericsson card. I tried re-installing the drivers, but this just produced the message that the hardware was not installed.

I lurk here because I have a T400, but unfortunately that and none of my other Lenovo's seem to be WWAN ready.

The X200T that I am on runs W7 64-bit and has an Ericsson directory under Program Files (x86) containing what look like drivers. 

Billaboard
Punch Card
Views: 215
Message 8 of 10

This evening it has started to work again on the new card.

I cannot explain it. Here is what I did.

I downloaded a program called pcisniffer, which arrived as an iso file, so I burnt the CD from this and restarted the machine with this in. It appeared to boot, but went no further. This is an old program, so I wasn't surprised.

I then rebooted and checked Device Manager - no Ericsson card.

I was still trying to see what was visible on the machine's internal pci bus, so downloaded and installed "siSoft Sandra", a free diagnostic program that I have often used in the past. During the installation, this installed Directx.

On running Sandra, the Ericsson 3507g showed up. It also now appeared in Device manager.

When I have time, I will try to look through the event logs and perhaps put the original card back in to check that that is still working.

I will report back if I reach any conclusion.

wombat1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 206
Message 9 of 10

thanks - tomorrow I will visit the telephone office at the university and get a new sim card - then I hope that solves the problem...if not, I may accidentally drop my lenovo down 5 floors as that is where the phone office is...of course my hard drive might have fallen out before I drop it!!! Mobile radio problem solved!!!!
Billaboard
Punch Card
Views: 189
Message 10 of 10

I don't think we both have exactly the same problem, but I seem to have discovered something here. 

If I swap the little Ericsson card with the new one, it doesn't show up in Device Manager or any other of the diagnostic programs that I run.

If I then run this pciSniffer program that I chanced on, that program doesn't work, but the Ericsson card works in Windows 7 from the next time I boot that OS up.

The pciSniffer program appears to run on some German embedded operating system that I've never heard of before.

I will try to investigate a bit more. If I boot up the pciSniffer program on mt Lenovo T400, which has no WWAN, it does the same as my X200 - it flashes a message on the screen and then goes to a blank screen.

Does this University of yours not have an IT dept who would be interested in catching your Lenowo as you throw it down the stairs?     Smiley Happy

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors