Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eNinja
Blue Screen Again
Views: 65
Message 1 of 1

Moving Win10 OS drive from one T420 to another

I currently have a ThinkPad T420 (4180MNU) into which I'm installing a new SSD and new install of Windows 10 Pro OEM. As luck would have it, I've just been offered another T420 (42365H2) with more desirable base specs (i7 vs. i5 and NVIDIA graphics vs. Intel).

Does anybody know what would happen if I finish setting up the new drive and OS on the existing machine and then try simply swapping it over into the new one? Seems like the majority of drivers would likely be the same except for video and possibly the system board.

I realize Windows 10 might lose its mind and deactivate (probably requiring me to obtain a new license key), but otherwise do you think a swap like this should/would/could work? The drive's not encrypted and TPM is on for my current system but hasn't been initialized and ownership hasn't been taken (not sure about the new machine, which I'm told doesn't currently have an OS).

I'd never even consider trying something like this with different systems, but since I've never been in the position of needing to move from one system to another of the same model before it might be fun to do a science. Smiley LOL

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors