Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hahn1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,074
Message 1 of 6

Multiple drives in T570

Is it possible to have an SSD together with a HDD in the T570? I spoke to a sales rep in Australia who assured me it was possible, but advised me to contact technical support about the details; I was informed by technical support that it was not at all possible. Plugging an SSD into WWAN slot was specifically excluded by the tech rep as an option.

I am asking this because in my T500, with which I have been happy for many years, I had a 256GB SSD for my OS and programs and a 1TB HDD (in the Ultrabay) for my files; the latter could be conveniently removed for transport when necessary. This set-up was not possible in the T560, for which reason I have delayed replacing my T500.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,047
Message 2 of 6

Re: Multiple drives in T570

Hi,

I can only report what I read in the link below.

Some: 128GB M.2 SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, in WWAN slot as 2nd Storage,
mutually exclusive with WWAN and WiGig

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T570/ThinkPad_T570_Platform_Specificatio...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Hahn1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,039
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply. I had seen this sheet, and the unit I'm ordering has a WWAN option on the construction page, so I'll chance assuming that the slot would be available and usable.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,000
Message 4 of 6

That may not be a good assumption.  Many models have slots that will support WWAN cards, but SSDs in those slots are not recognized.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,986
Message 5 of 6

This is a bit of a puzzle.

As I posted above, the PSREF document describes using an m.2 SSD in the WWAN slot.

The HMM doesn't say that in the left-side table of contents (as it usually does with a shared slot) but does on page 48:

Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T570, P51s Laptop

17b M.2 solid-state drive (installed in the WWAN card slot)

It's probably going to require the OP - or someone - to plug it in and try it.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

archon810
HDMI
Views: 2,815
Message 6 of 6

Has anyone succeeded installing the 2nd drive into the WWAN port? As far as I understand, it'd have to be the M.2 2242 length, not the conventional 2280.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors