Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wshamroukh
Paper Tape
Views: 13,218
Message 1 of 10

My laptop restarts after shutdown

Hi all

I have recently bought T400 and i installed windows 7. It was working smoothly untill two days ago.

When i shutdown the laptop from the windows, and after a complete restart, the laptop starts again. Even when i shutdown using the power button, it will start again. I have tried to troubleshoot it all the ways either with battery or with power+battery or even with power only, still the laptop starts again after a complete shutdown.

can anybody help me out here??

i have already updated the bios to the most recent bios update

waiting for your replies

Waddah

demonoid724
Paper Tape
Views: 13,172
Message 2 of 10

Re: My laptop restarts after shutdown

This problem is due to Thinkpad Power Management Driver 1.53 that won't work properly on some Thinkpads. Installing this driver affects most ACPI features and you won't be able to Hibernate or Shutdown (Restarts instead of power-down) Windows properly.

You have to roll-back your driver to previous version that worked.

Also make sure that the following devices are present under Device Manager >> System Devices:

ACPI Fixed Feature Button

ACPI Lid

ACPI Sleep Button

ACPI Thermal Zone

---

I encountered this problem 2 days ago and the problem was resolved after rolling back to IBM PM Device driver version 1.26 from Thinkpad PM driver 1.53

Mabuhay!!!
demonoid724
Paper Tape
Views: 13,168
Message 3 of 10

Update:

Thinkpad PM Driver version 1.55 is available for download. I upgraded my system to Thinkpad PM Driver version 1.55 and is now working properly.

Mabuhay!!!
Fbav
What's DOS?
Views: 13,138
Message 4 of 10

Hello guys.

I'm having the same problem. I have a very new T400, but everytime (since two days now) I shut it down, it starts again after 2-3 seconds. Doesn't matter if use battery, power or battery+power.

I updated all my lenovo drivers, including the "Thinkpad Power Management Driver" to the actual version 1.55.

No changes.

I am a bit frustrated already because I don't know how to fix it. My problem as well is, I am from Germany (and there I also bought the T400), but now I am in Spain studying one semester here. So sending the T400 to the lenovo service is completely out of the question, as I need my laptop here every day. I can't be some days or weeks without, for studying and personal (communicating with family) purposes.

Means: I have to find a solution here and hopefully with your help here.
thanks a lot for helping.
Fbav

Fbav
What's DOS?
Views: 13,106
Message 5 of 10

nobody wants to help?

oz2k9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,939
Message 6 of 10

I have this problem also with an T400 since 1 day. I reinstalled windows from scatch. at the login screen i pressed " shut down" same error, it restarts automaticly. I think it needs to be send to repair.

Or has anybody a solution ?

RO-TPfor
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,736
Message 7 of 10

I, too, am having this problem - or a variant of it, on a T-400s.

When put into sleep mode (Fn - F4), the machine seems to normally go into sleep then within a few seconds usually  "chirps" a few times and comes back to the login screen.

When I first received the machine this function worked fine; that is, it went into sleep mode "normally".  I have upgraded drivers, etc. since and this problem has arisen in the last several weeks.

Power Manager 3 (ver. 3.01) is installed.

T-400s; Vista Business 64.

Any ideas?

demonoid724
Paper Tape
Views: 12,538
Message 8 of 10

this problem is due to overcharging of a capacitor that messes up the ACPI and charging functions. also this might be triggered if you remove the charger while shutting down windows.

possible solution:

1.) power off the system by pressing the power button during restart.

2.) unplug the charger then remove the battery pack.

3.) press the power button for at least 30 seconds then press it again 5 times with 5 seconds intervals. this will discharge all remaining charge.

4.) put back the battery and boot up the system.

5.) plug the charger.

--------

to prevent having this problem, avoid unplugging the charger while the system is shutting down. unplug the charger only when the system is completely turned off and the battery charging indicator lights up.

also, don't leave the charger plugged in to avoid overcharging the batteries as well.

Mabuhay!!!
terrapinstation
What's DOS?
Views: 11,172
Message 9 of 10

ive been working on a clients T60 and ive replaced the PM driver. rolled back the driver checked the acpi and all that checks out and the **bleep** thing keeps restarting upon shutdown. im stumped and my client is upset. not sure where to go with this issue. please advise. thanks

some rise...some fall...some climb...to get to terrapin......
Frycom32
What's DOS?
Views: 1,473
Message 10 of 10

After fighting with this issue and trying every solution posted i found out it is a keyboard issue. The power button on the keyboard is still making contact somehow and turns the laptop back on. I have seen this in the T510 and T410. I am sure it is other models as well. Hope this helps

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors