Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drskhan
HDMI
Views: 2,312
Message 1 of 8

My new T400 & three recent problems that I suffered

My T400 was delivered about a week ago. I am not sure how to contact support.

TYPE: 7417-CTO

1) When I started it for the very first time, it took me straight to the screen: "Your computer was not properly shut down; Please choose one of the options". Then I started it normally. It should not start like this. Correct?

Used Think vantage updates & after that neither my finger print reader is working nor is my recovery.

I get the following messages:

The file S:\Preboot\recovery\nls required by this program cannot be found

When I try to use "Rescue & Recovery" in bios, it says "Recovery function has been removed from this system"

After using think vantage software updates, Finger print sensor is not working.

What to do? Expect a miracle?

Probably I will need RECOVERY DVDs/CDs. Windows is VISTA ULTIMATE 32 Bit operating system.

Dr. Khan

Message Edited by drskhan on 10-03-2008 11:34 AM
drskhan
HDMI
Views: 2,293
Message 2 of 8

Re: My new T400 & three recent problems that I suffered

I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance

Dr. Khan

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,262
Message 3 of 8

Hello Dr. Khan,

first I would suggest to burn your R&R disks, you´ll need 7cd or 3  DVD´s.

It seems System Updater have updated your fingerprint software and R&R so both is unavailible for you.

There is a long way, to uninstall R&R and install the new versions, or simply use recovery media and

restore system to factory state. But you should safe your c:\SWTools folder, there are your needed drivers.

Then let System Updater only install the other software, but no BIOS, R&R and CSS.

Then you´ll get a new system in 2h, other method is 4-6h.

Regards

Andreas

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 10-04-2008 12:09 AM

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,243
Message 4 of 8

Can you burn a set of recovery media from programs -> thinkvantage -> create recovery media -> create recovery discs, you can use either dvd or cd to do this. If you can't do this, then call lenovo if you do it after 2 weeks you may need to pay, so good luck let us know. Similar problem occured with my R61i when i first got it, the easiest fix is to use the recovery media to reformat the whole computer.
drskhan
HDMI
Views: 2,227
Message 5 of 8

No,

Recovery media cannot be made in Windows mode. It says: "The file S: \Preboot\recovery\nls required by this program cannot be found".

When I try to use "Rescue&Recovery" via F11 in Bios mode, it says" "Recovery function has been removed from this system" when I try to factory restore.

I do not know where the heck problem lies. I tried uninstalling R&R, reinstalling it..... But the problem remains there.

Another observation that I made (I consider this Lenovo fault/negligence): The very first moment I started my machine right out of the box, the first screen that I saw said: "Your PC was not shut down properly. Please choose one of the following option blah blah.

Brand new machine should not start like this.

Another problem is finger print reader/sensor was working fine. After Think vantage, neither finger print sensor nor R&R are working.

Called Lenovo. They said they will send me recovery media. Another negligence in my observation. These medias/back up cds should be included by default in package like DELL, HP etc.

Now do I have to "RETURN" my laptop or wait for these medias?

Dr. Khan

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,218
Message 6 of 8

You need the recovery media yeah it happens sometimes, it happened to me right out of box too... Recovery media has not been included for a while, a legacy of later IBM Thinkpad.

It is an easy fix, half a half at most when you got the recovery media.

Return process for your laptop will drive you mad, so highly not recommended.

drskhan
HDMI
Views: 2,181
Message 7 of 8

What is an easy fix & what do you mean by half & half at most?

What is the procedure that I need to follow when i get recovery media? How many cds/dvds are these?

Also will this rectify T400 finger print reader/sensor problem?

Thanks in advance. I won't return it.

Dr. Khan

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,175
Message 8 of 8

i mean half a hour, sorry a typo. There should be 3 discs when they arrive, insert your disc one and follow the instruction as it goes, the installation process should be pretty much automated apart from you entering some information and selecting some personal settings. If your laptop don't boot from disc one, press F12 to set the first boot device as your cd/dvd drive.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors