Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piapia1991
Paper Tape
Views: 732
Message 1 of 13

My new T470p is often restarting when lifting it up

Since about 3 weeks I have the problem that sometimes when I lift up  my T470p from the desk, it restarts immediately without a reason.

Does anyone know what could be the reason for that?

My guess would be loose battery contacts or something like that, but if I am trying to move the battery, nothing happens. 

Before anyone asks, I have already installed the latest updates, as well as the Bios. 

Thanks in advance for any clues how to solve this.

Regards,

Pia

sqet
Paper Tape
Views: 578
Message 2 of 13

Re: My new T470p is often restarting when lifting it up

Have you done something with this problem? I'm stuck with the same issue.
pvsada
What's DOS?
Views: 475
Message 3 of 13

I have the same problem with my T470P Lenovo thinkpad. It happens almost always when i lift my laptop

Muyleng
What's DOS?
Views: 392
Message 4 of 13

Hi, do you have a solution on this? i also have the same problem.

gfits
Paper Tape
Views: 368
Message 5 of 13

I have had have the same problem. I've had a feeling it has something to do with static charges. But now it seems to happen more often when I am resting both my palms down for writing, then reposition the computer with that same grip. Something must be shorting. I have to unplug and remove the battery to get started again.

I have already gotten it serviced once. And after that, it was good for almost a month, now back to same issues.

Thankfully it's covered with 3 year on-site warranty.

pvsada
What's DOS?
Views: 359
Message 6 of 13

Problem still exists for me even after service. It is more often seen when the device gets used for a long time. I generally see after using the device for more than 1hr of usage on battery only. I think it could be related to heating of device.

gfits
Paper Tape
Views: 349
Message 7 of 13

To be clear, problem exists for me as well, even after they changed the motherboard.

I think you might be on to something with the overheating issue. When I restart it quickly after I've lost power I am getting thermal warnings in the Linux boot sequence. However, it will never power off by itself. It seems to always want a human touch.

sqet
Paper Tape
Views: 230
Message 8 of 13

Motherboard replaced and everything works well

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 213
Message 9 of 13

Unrelated, I have a Dell Latitude E5450 that did the same thing, powered off when lifted. It ended up being a lot of loose screws, that allowed the chassis and mobo the flex enough to trigger a power cutoff. I noticed the HMM has a page on the proper tightness of screws (I don't remember if it includes torque specs, but I don't think it does). Perhaps that is why some mobo replacements fixed the issue and some didn't?

DCengineer
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 10 of 13

I experience the same issue intermittently. My theory is that it is caused by a combination of high temperature and slightly bending the motherboard.

• It tends to be more sensitive when being lifted from the right side, especially around the power switch and near the ThinkPad sticker.
  • When the system fails to power on, unscrewing the bottom shell and screwing it back on again seems to fix the issue. However, this could be due to cooling.
  • I don't think the issue is ESD or capacitance-related, since I've only had issues after lifting the machine. If this were an issue, the problem would occur after placing your hand close to the wrong area.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors