cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ohad
Paper Tape
Views: 6,121
Message 1 of 4

NO Lenovo Windows 8.1 Recovery DVD for CLEAN INSTALL! + unable to Install UEFI MODE

Hi,

I Just bought 25 Thinkpad T431s Laptops for my company (@ISRAEL)
All of them came with windows 7SP1 Installed And Recovery is Windows 8 (not 8.1 even though 8.1 is out for a yr!)

The Install process takes 3 Hours!!! Just for upgrading to windows 8.
Then I need to upgrade to 8.1 - the process is about 3 hours more! Because I need to Register And create Microsoft account for each user then to verify the account.
After that I need to Log with the account to the PC And then Download the update (3.5GB) And Install it.

IS ANYONE AT LENOVO THINKS THAT ITS ACCEPTABLE?
DO I WORK FOR LENOVO? DO I NEED TO SPEND 6 HOURS FOR UPGRADING EACH LAPTOP?

Don't forget that after that I need to uninstall all the bloater from the PC. Like Symantec AV (Because Enterprise company's uses Enterprise Class AV, FW And other software. We uses Kaspersky Enterprise, ESET, And others...)

AND ABOVE ALL.
If I want to Install Original Windows 8.1 I can't!
Because the OS Recovery DVD is not bootable And contain special recovery files with special extensions. Also, there is no PRODUCT CODE! Just "WINDOWS 8" sticker logo on the back of the notebook.

SO I WANT TO KNOW WHERE AND HOW(!)
I CAN GET A WINDOWS 8.1 ORIGINAL ISO IN ORDER TO INSTALL IT ON ALL MY PC's.

I want to know why I can't Install Just the "OPERATING SYSTEM RECOVERY DISK" (A standard clean Install)

== When I tried with my own Windows 8.1 Pro VL \ RETAIL ISO to Install it didn't pass activation==
==================== not even with the extracted key from the bios=====================

FYI - WHEN I BUY DELL OR HP LAPTOPS I'M GETTING A WINDOWS 8.1 PRO X64 BOOTABLE DVD DISK in addition to the 2 DVD RECOVERY DISKS. (So I am able to Install windows Without all the that you And them put into the recovery disk set).

Customer service in ISRAEL said that this is not possible! And that the only way is:
1. Use the 3 DVD recovery disks to format And Install windows 8.0
2. Register the user with a Microsoft account
3. Log in to each PC with his own Microsoft account
4. Download 8.1 update from Microsoft store
3. Install the 3.5GB update.
4. uninstall all the bloater.

So can I please ask you to confirm the answer I got from LENOVO ISRAEL. If So, ill return the laptops And that will the last time ANY OF MY COMPANY'S WILL EVER BUY ANY NOTEBOOKS OR TABLETS FROM LENOVO!

In addition, im trying to figure out how can I contact Lenovo main office to file a complaint against Lenovo Israel.
CEO Ms. Sigal didn't do anything to try And solve the issue, the product manager Mr. Many talk with me on the phone And was very rood. At the end he hang up the phone in my face! After I proved him wrong in another issue (T440s T431s cannot be installed with UEFI Because External DVD drive does not support UEFI Install only Legacy. And there is a big different between Legacy And UEFI)

Thank you.

Moderator note; profanity / implied profanity edited.  Forum Rules

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 6,100
Message 2 of 4

Re: NO Lenovo Windows 8.1 Recovery DVD for CLEAN INSTALL! + unable to Install UEFI MODE

Hi ohad, welcome to the forums,

I'm sorry to read about your experience. 

I don't work for Lenovo but it would appear to me that something may have gone wrong at the sales / purchasing stage; to my knowledge the T431s is only available with Windows 7 preload, (with Win 8 recovery discs in some cases as you have), or with Windows 8 preload. A Win 8.1 preload doesn't appear to be available for the system, but I stand to be corrected on this.  If you required Windows 8.1, in my opinion the better option of the two, would have been a system with the Win 8 preinstall as this would only require updating to Win 8.1

Unfortunately I also can't envisage Lenovo creating a factory image for the T431s because it must be pretty near end of life.

You might find the following to be of interest;

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1-Knowledge-Base/Why-can-t-I-boot-from-a-USB-key-on-UEFI...

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

ohad
Paper Tape
Views: 6,063
Message 3 of 4

Re: NO Lenovo Windows 8.1 Recovery DVD for CLEAN INSTALL! + unable to Install UEFI MODE

Thank you for trying to help.

T431s came with 7SP1 and Recovery Windows 8.

i dont care about that.

if i was able to download my own iso of 8.1 then i had no problems with it.

BUT(!) NOT RETAIL AND NOT VL CAN BE ACTIVATED! WITH LENOVO KEY

AND ALL I WANT IS A CLEAN WINDOS 8.1 INSTALLTION.

NOT ONLY THAT BUT EVEN WITH WINDOWS 7 YOU DONT GET THE INSTALL CD.

AND THERE IS NO OEM VERSION OF WINDOWS 8.1 TO DOWNLOAD.

Also installing Windows 8 recovery is the only option but it takes about 3 hours.

Then, installing Windows 8.1 Update takes 3 hours more.

i also need to create a Microsoft account for each user ---> verify the account ---> log in with it

and then download and install the update.

LENOVO DOESNT EVEN GIVE YOU THE OPTION (LIKE DELL AND HP) TO CREATE A BOOTABLE DISK ON KEY FOR A (VERY) FAST INSTALL.

AND WHAT ABOUT THE RECOVERY?

WHAT IF I DONT WANT 1 LARGE PARTITION?

WHATS MAKE LENOVO THINK THAT THEY CAN DESIDE FOR ALL THE USERS IN THE WORLD WHAT WILL BE THE PARTITION SIZE?

About the UEFI,

i have no problems with UEFI install when i use Disk On Key.

The problem is with the DVD recovery Install.

External DVD drive cannot use to install UEFI.

(and btw, why should lenovo install a PC with Legasy Bios? why advertise LENOVO SUPPORT UEFI!! when you cant even use it?)

PERSONALLY I THINK THAT THIS IS NOT RIGHT!

Scooby-2
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,580
Message 4 of 4

@ohad

While this may not help you immediately there is a way to update the recovery partition after upgrading the OS. See this post by Keith Mayer for instructions. This should save you hours of work in the future.

Hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors