Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
93b1691
Paper Tape
Views: 2,054
Message 1 of 5

Need Advice on Upgrading RAM on Thinkpad T470

Hi all. New to the forum but have a quick question on the thinkpad t470s. I am looking to upgrade the ram from the 8 gig currently in it and replce the 4 gig module with a 16 gig one to max it out. Can anyone give me pointers on which module i should be buying for the 16 gig module. I was hoping to find locally at best buy but unfortunately they do not have 16 gig modules. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,048
Message 2 of 5

Re: Need Advice on Upgrading RAM on Thinkpad T470

Hello and welcome,

I've moved your post to the T-series forum.

Your subject says T470 but the message body says - and implies - T470s.  I think you already know that one module is soldered and one socketed, but just checking...

Both base specs say "2400MHz DDR4".  I'd be inclined to go to a reputable vendor's site (Crucial for instance - not pushing them...)  and use their memory finder for specifics.  In the hopefully unlikely event of compatibility issues you'd have that to fall back on for a return.

Probably not necessary, but it's not a bad idea to pull the specs of the soldered module and try to match those exactly.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

93b1691
Paper Tape
Views: 2,038
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the quick reply Z!! I do realize there is a difference betweent eh regular t470 and the t470s. The module i need is for the t470s. I apologize i must have forgot the s in the subject, but definitely looking for the t470s and not the t470. I have a 4 gig moduled boarded. and a slot with a 4 gig module. I want to add a 16 gig module to the slot in place of the 4 gig and leave the 4 gig onboard memory alone. I have already checked crucial and they say they dont have one that will work for me, which i thought was odd. I thought if anybody had one it would have been them.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,034
Message 4 of 5

I'm surprised that Crucial doesn't show anything.  Maybe just lagging a bit.

Here's what Kingston says.  I don't have much experience with them except to say stay away from their "value" series, and any other vendor's value line - If there's such a thing in a 16GB module.

https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=2&Mfr=LEN&Line=ThinkPad&Model=96132

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

93b1691
Paper Tape
Views: 2,017
Message 5 of 5

Thank you so much for this link and your help!!!! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors