Options

17 Posts

09-18-2008

US

24 Signins

164 Page Views

• Views: 164
  • Message 1 of 4

Need a straight answer on Max NVMe drives supported on the T490, T490s or X1 Carbon (7th gen)

2019-06-22, 14:57 PM

I've been using a 2 TB Samsung SATA SSD on my T480 and I'd like to upgrade to the T490s.  So far as I know these are NVMe only laptops and I went and got a 2 TB Samsung PCIe NVME stick.

From chatting with a couple of the Lenovo sales people on-line via their web site they're all stating that the new thinkpads only support going as big as 1 TB PCIe NVME.

I've found that these on-line people are not always the best though.  Is anyone here able to provide a definitive answer on whether Lenovo has taken a step back like this on the limits on storage with these new thinkpads?  Is it really only 1 TB?

Options

10397 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39213 Signins

404902 Page Views

• Views: 404902
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Need a straight answer on Max NVMe drives supported on the T490, T490s or X1 Carbon (7th gen)

2019-06-22, 15:23 PM

I believe 1TB is the biggest you can order from Lenovo now, not the biggest one supported.  There would be no built-in limit, but 1TB is the biggest one that was tested and certified to work.  People install retail (rather than OEM) drives all the time, BUT the PCIe interface is more "fragile" than the simpler and slower SATA interface that was used previously.  There are reports of particular PCIe drives not working on various brands of laptops. Common sorts of compatibility involve things like timing at startup and the HDD passwords set in the BIOS and how that relates to drive encryption.  If you buy a non-Lenovo branded drive, always check the seller's return policy

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

17 Posts

09-18-2008

US

24 Signins

164 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re: Need a straight answer on Max NVMe drives supported on the T490, T490s or X1 Carbon (7th gen)

2019-06-22, 16:12 PM

This is where I thought I'd be safe with Samsung.  Samsung (and Intel) are the most reliable and most used drives by people interested in reliability with the SSDs.  I've been buying Samsung SSDs for years to replace what vendors will provide.

Moreover, I need a reliable means of recovery to where I may have "messed up" my laptop from experimentation I need to do in my job.  I use disk cloning for this and make clones at least weekly so that I can swap to the clone drive and not lose much.  My concern now with ThinkPads is going to be that if I get a 1 TB PCIe NVMe and clone to that will I be able to swap that in or are these Thinkpads going to be so intolerant of drives other than what they provide that I've got to rebuild from scratch.  That would be a horrific situation (for me).

That said, it was the "definitive" feedback from the people I contacted that the new ThinkPads "don't" support greater than 1 TB, which sounded more like someone on a headset reading from marketing materials.

Options

17 Posts

09-18-2008

US

24 Signins

164 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2019-06-22, 16:15 PM

Appreciate the reply.

I think that for now I'll stick with my T480.  I don't "need" to upgrade.  I was just hoping to get to the faster PCIe drives in particular because I run VMWare and host quite a few images to test with.  This is also why I have the larger 2 TB drive in what I've got.  Faster disk would be very helpful for the running of those, but not necessary.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save