Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djones0730
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 956
Message 1 of 13

Need drivers assistance with Lenovo Thinkpad t420i load with Windows 7

Hello.  I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T420i laptop that I am going to reload with Windows 7 Ultimate (not sure if I want to load 32-bit or 64-bit).  I would like to load the correct drivers with it and the correct order as well, especially when dealing with the wireless portion.  Can someone give me the assist ASAP in this matter, as I am trying to reload this laptop for my daughter.  Thank you all in advance!  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 934
Message 2 of 13

Re: Need drivers assistance with Lenovo Thinkpad t420i load with Windows 7

Hello and welcome,

Once you can establish a connection once Windows 7 is installed (wired or wireless with the in-built '7 drivers or by manually installing a driver from the Lenovo downloads) use ThinkVantage System Update to download and install the other drivers appropriate for you laptop.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T42...

I'd always go with 64-bit Windows.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

djones0730
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 923
Message 3 of 13

Is there any recommended order I should load the drivers so I wont have any issues?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 912
Message 4 of 13
Moved:

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 915
Message 5 of 13

TVSU will take care of any dependencies or installation order issues - with one exception.  As noted in the TVSU download page:  Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0 or above is required for System Update to work correctly. Use Microsoft Windows Update to ensure that Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 is installed on your system

You may need to install that manually if Windows Update doesn't - or hasn't.

[edit] In case that wasn't clear - TVSU will do the driver selection, download, and install.  You won't need to control the order or anything else unless you want to manually select "optional" downloads that it offers - or reject something it wants to install (unlikely).

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

djones0730
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 894
Message 6 of 13

Still having problems with my wireless...not sure if I have located the right drivers for that, or the Network Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, and SMbus Controller  Smiley Frustrated

djones0730
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 878
Message 7 of 13

I am still not able to get the Wireless drivers to work...Man Sad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 875
Message 8 of 13

Was the wifi driver installed by TVSU?  Did you install everything else TVSU offered?  Hot keys, etc?  Is it showing up as installed in Dev Mgr?

Wifi switch (physical if there is one) and F<something> on?

Z.

djones0730
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 864
Message 9 of 13

I didn't see anything about Wireless drivers in the TVSU at all. I installed all of the drivers that were recommended in order to get it to work. The wired portion works just fine; just not the wireless portion. I have checked to make sure everything was on, and I even checked under services and make sure the wireless Services was turned on. I know that the wireless works on it, because it was working before I did to reload. The device that shows up in Device Manager is Network Controller...
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 857
Message 10 of 13

Is there only a single network controller showing?  Is that your wired NIC?  Are there any unknown devices?

If you find an unknown device, what does Properties -> Details -> Hardware IDs say?  What are the hardware IDs for the network controller that you do see?

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors