Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ldxrunner2015
Punch Card
Views: 1,316
Message 1 of 6

Need to replace internal hard drive

Greetings to all, I need to replace the internal hard drive for T61p, product identification 6459cto. What do I ask for ? Thank you Ldxrunner 2015
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,309
Message 2 of 6

Re: Need to replace internal hard drive

Here you go.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD002779

Its a list of FRUs for The T61p

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
parmardilan
Token Ring
Views: 1,281
Message 3 of 6

I have a hard drive please PM me
ThinkPad Twist S230U-
OS-Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU-Intel Core i7 3517U @ 1.90GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM-8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard-LENOVO 3347CTO (CPU Socket - U3E1)
Graphics-Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768 (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo)
Storage-298GB Seagate ST320LT007-9ZV142 (SATA) 22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD) 29GB SDHC Card (SCSI)
Audio-Realtek High Definition Audio
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,275
Message 4 of 6

@Ldxrunner2015 wrote:
Greetings to all, I need to replace the internal hard drive for T61p, product identification 6459cto. What do I ask for ? Thank you Ldxrunner 2015

for platter drives...

you can use just about any 2.5", 9.5mm height SATA drive. i've been partial to hitachi travelstars (now owned by western digital), which were originally ibm. others have equally good luck with (and loyalty to) other brands. pick your capacity, rotational speed, cache size, etc. many on-line vendors have a good selection.

for solid state drives...

same physical size specs as above. you'll need to do some research into reliability, controller chip quirks, etc., but they're getting far more reliable. they do need a different kind of disaster recovery plan, though, as a failure means no data is recoverable as far as i've heard. with platter drives, depending on the type of failure, some recovery is usually possible without resorting to expensive professional services.

for both types of drives, you should be able to use 7mm height drives also as long as you mount the drive in the existing drive caddy and use the rubber rails. this maintains proper connector alignment with the drive bay.

hth.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,265
Message 5 of 6

I'm with sarbin on the Travelstar drives.  In my experience they have been the quietest and lowest vibration in my laptops.  YMMV.

If you go to a non-Lenovo retailer, you may get an Advanced Format (4k-byte sector) drive.  This can be more or less of a pain depending on your OS.  Win 7, good out of the box, or a little driver fiddling.  XP, may need alignment to avoid a serious perfmance hit.  Do-able, but  a little more pain.

I don't know if those Lenovo FRU drives are still 512-byte sector drives or not.

Some scribbled notes below.  They are Win 7 oriented, but the 2nd one has links to XP info and tools.

Windows Update Fails After Installing New Hard Drive

Windows Update Broken After Cloning Hard drive

Z.

[edit] Typo: 4k-byte sectors, not 2k. Smiley Embarassed

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,253
Message 6 of 6

good information in those links, Z.

thanks for providing them. Smiley Happy

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors