Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-23-2015

United States

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 1 of 1

Network Priority based on Dock Detection

2015-11-23, 22:07 PM

I have a case where I'd like to change network priority based on whether or not my T450s is docked.

Some background info: In the course of my work, I sometimes need to undock my laptop and bring it into a test environment in the back of our office. When in this testing environment, I will typically connect my wired adapter into an isolated router or switch which does not provide any internet access. I will use the wireless adapter to stay connected to the office wifi which allows me to access our network drive and internet.

When I was using my old laptop (Thinkpad E440) it would always know to use the wireless connection to get out to the network drive and internet when it was unable to do so using the wired. This doesn't seem to work on my T450s however; instead it tries to use the wired connection and fails without falling back to the wireless.

I did some research and found I can change the interface metric value (priority essentially) as well as the adapter usage order. (not sure what the difference is exactly). I found I am able to force wireless to take priority, but then it is necessary for me to disable the wireless manually when docked.

Does anyone know of a solution on how I can either A) Change the adapter priority when I am docked, or B) disable the wireless connection all-together when I am docked. Either way, it would seem as if I need some way of detecting whether the Thinkpad is docked.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms