Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eppack
Not applicable
Views: 382
Message 1 of 7

New HD - which OS?

When I bought my T-540p a couple of years ago, I had to pay extra to "downgrade" to Windows 7 Professional from the then SOTA Windows 8.1. Last summer I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10, and all has been well until recently.

It's now developed a problem that I'm pretty sure will result in a new hard drive, and since it's still under warranty, I'll be working with Lenovo support on this. If indeed they do send me a new HD, what will be the deal with the OS? Will it be shipped back with Windows 10 or Windows 7? If the former, will I be charged for that? If the latter, same question--can I still upgrade for free anymore since I already did it once? I don't know if this kind of relatively unusual upgrade is covered in the warranty. 

Just trying to get a heads up. Thoughts?

TIA

elaine

-----
EP Pack
Charlotte, NC
Thinkpad T540P
Windows 10 Professional
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 342
Message 2 of 7

Re: New HD - which OS?

Hi,

I can't speak for support but I'd guess it will be returned with the same OS it shipped with.

Your previous Windows 10 activation status should be stored in the MS servers so a re-upgrade or clean install of '10 shouldn't present a problem.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

richk
Not applicable
Views: 329
Message 3 of 7

If they send you a drive as a CRU (customer replacable unit), it will be blank so you can restore from backups you created.  If the depot changes your drive, they will restore the drive from an image of the OS that was shipped originally with your machine.  You should have a key in your BIOS that will let you install win 10 with automatic activation.  You can download it from MS - search for windows 10 media creation tool.  Depending on when your machine was delivered, you may be able to get full recovery media from Lenovo here:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103653?LinkTrack=Solr

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
eppack
Not applicable
Views: 262
Message 4 of 7

I'm really ticked now. I was chatting with Lenovo on this as I typed here:

Ian: We will be sending you the original one which is Win 7.
Ian: And that will cost you $69 to order the recovery media.
You: it's still under warranty, why a charge?
Ian: Do you have the serial number?  [gave it to him]

Ian: I can see here that your warranty is active however the warranty that you have is only good for broken physical damage of your machine and that is for Hardware Factory Warranty only.

Meaning I guess I can't get the recovery media unless I pay for it, but assuming the RCD is the 3-disk "Windows 7 Recovery Media for Windows 7 Products" labeled as "Operating System Recovery Disk" plus 2 "Applications and Drivers Recovery Disks", I already have those, thanks to an earlier problem when a kindly Lenovo tech sent me new disks for free Smiley Happy And what constitutes "Broken physical damage"? I have a 4 year extended warranty, and I've had a HD replaced once before earlyish on, and it didn't cost me a dime. If a disk drive fails, which happens, as we all know, and thru no known fault of my own, isn't that "broken physical damage"? Since when has an extended warranty been essentially downgraded from the original basic 3 years I purchased?

My extended warranty info says :

"This product has a 3yr limited warranty which includes a ThinkPlus warranty upgrade. This product is entitled to on-site repair service Mon-Fri, except holidays, with a next business day response objective. Customer does not have to return their defective hard drive.It is the customer's responsibility to destroy or safekeep the defective hardware. This machine also has Accidental Damage Protection" (emphasis mine)

So I'm confused, do I get a new Windows 7 Pro HD or a genuinely blank one (which I've never heard of happening)? If the former, to get back to my original-original question, I also asked Microsoft about my windows 10 upgrade, and verified I do have a good copy (per the key I have since it doesn't boot) so that at least is good. I can just upgrade it via an ISO.

To answer the question I'm responding to, unfortunately I don't have a super current system image available. I had 3 system images, but when I tried restoring the most current, it failed. Went to the next one, failed, ditto #3. Unfortunately the second one wiped out the most current one, but I do have the VAST majority of my stuff, thankfully, that I have been able to copy to my backup drive, and the key info.

<rant>

I should also note that the Lenovo dude I got sucked--I got genuinely stellar service from Microsoft (she said shockingly Smiley Happy but "Ian" was extremely slow to respond unless I pinged him again, sometimes twice, and after I finally asked if there was someone else I could talk to, he disappeared. Not to mention that the stupid live chat window was extremely small, and the text so tiny (and GRAY ON WHITE) that it was nearly invisible.

</rant>

<sigh>

elaine

-----
EP Pack
Charlotte, NC
Thinkpad T540P
Windows 10 Professional
eppack
Not applicable
Views: 259
Message 5 of 7

Oh and I also just put in a "managed technical service order". We shall see what we see.
-----
EP Pack
Charlotte, NC
Thinkpad T540P
Windows 10 Professional
eppack
Not applicable
Views: 232
Message 6 of 7

So they simply sent me a brand new HDD, a "CRU", no additional convo or other contact. Really REALLY stupid question now. Someone here mentioned this might be a genuinely blank HDD, vs one with my original Windows 7 Pro pre-installed, and I wasn't aware an empty HDD was even an option, nor did they say anything about that. I'm guessing this may be the case, as I'm getting the "PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable" and "exiting intel boot agent" errors. The boot order is "normal", i.e., CD/HDD/the-3rd-one-I-always-forget-but-never-use Smiley Happy Unlike the bad HDD, I can't get into just a cmd prompt to even SEE if there's anything on it.

My ultimate goal here is to get it back to Windows 10, and I do have a  "Windows 7 Pro Operating System Recovery Disk" and a couple of "Applications and Drivers Recovery Media for Windows 7 products". 

So if my assumption that it's truly empty is correct, is it just a matter of running the DVD(s) first, then update from a free windows 10 ISO? I have verified with Microsoft that my bios key is good to go for that. Obviously if it's NOT correct, and windows 7 IS supposed to be on it already, then that's a whole 'nother problem.

Bonus question: they apparently want me to send them my old HD once I'm back up and running. Not sure why they want that, but is that normal? "Obviously" if so, I'll remove all my stuff first.

TIA

elaine

"I'm software, not hardware"

-----
EP Pack
Charlotte, NC
Thinkpad T540P
Windows 10 Professional
eppack
Not applicable
Views: 200
Message 7 of 7

Ah, apologies, should have read backwards--it IS a CRU so apparently it IS blank, hence why it doesn't boot Smiley Happy IYO, if I simply run the windows.iso (directed to by MS and duly burned to DVD), will my "activated" windows 10 Lenovo bios key still work right if I don't start with windows 7 first (updated to 10 last summer)?

elaine
-----
EP Pack
Charlotte, NC
Thinkpad T540P
Windows 10 Professional

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors