cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VinhLe68
Blue Screen Again
Views: 147
Message 1 of 6

New OEM 9-cell & 6-cell batteries causes laptop to suddenly shutdown with full charge

Hello Everyone! :-)

This is my first time posting at this forum.  I have a Lenovo T520 laptop that is experiencing intermittent problem shutting down when I am trying out brand new 9-cell and 6-cell batteries that are fully charged.  Based on the seller instruction; they said to go into the bios to see if there is a battery resync option and/or charge the battery with the laptop powered off for a minimum of 10hrs before using the new battery.  I followed their instructions but the laptop continued to suddenly powered off while I am using it with a fully charged battery.  

Has anyone experiences similar issues and know of any troubleshooting method or fixes?  Of course I first naturally expects the battery to be bad, but I bought 2x 9-cell batteries, the seller then send me an additional 2 x 6-cell batteries because I am having problems with the 9-cell.  The 6-cell also resulted with the same symptom so I find it hard to believe that all 4 batteries are bad.  

Here is the info on the batteries I purchased:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/9Cell-Battery-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T410-T420-T510-T520-SL410-SL510-E420-E425...

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help me to resolve this problem.

Best,

Vinh Le

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 140
Message 2 of 6

Re: New OEM 9-cell & 6-cell batteries causes laptop to suddenly shutdown with full charge

Hello and welcome,

I can't say with certainty what is going on - but those aren't OEM (Lenovo) batteries.  They are unbranded generics from who-knows-where.

I'm always suspicious of non-OEM batteries and their internal control electronics.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

VinhLe68
Blue Screen Again
Views: 131
Message 3 of 6

Re: New OEM 9-cell & 6-cell batteries causes laptop to suddenly shutdown with full charge

Hi Z! Yes, I tend to agree with you here. :-) Worse case, I'll have to go look for genuine batteries which I am sure will be at a higher cost.
vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 111
Message 4 of 6

try discharging the battery fully then charge it fully and see how that holds out

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
VinhLe68
Blue Screen Again
Views: 95
Message 5 of 6

This is a great suggestion and as a matter of fact, I have been trying to do just that however, the laptop keep shutting off during battery use. :-)
vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 85
Message 6 of 6

if the batery shut the machine down, there is definitely a problem and I would go to ebay and seek a refund

but I recall you have a some extra batteries on hand that also are problematic, suggests the batch are no good

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
Top Kudoed Authors