cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VinhLe68
Blue Screen Again
Views: 156
Message 1 of 6

New OEM 9-cell & 6-cell batteries causes laptop to suddenly shutdown with full charge

Hello Everyone! :-)

This is my first time posting at this forum.  I have a Lenovo T520 laptop that is experiencing intermittent problem shutting down when I am trying out brand new 9-cell and 6-cell batteries that are fully charged.  Based on the seller instruction; they said to go into the bios to see if there is a battery resync option and/or charge the battery with the laptop powered off for a minimum of 10hrs before using the new battery.  I followed their instructions but the laptop continued to suddenly powered off while I am using it with a fully charged battery.  

Has anyone experiences similar issues and know of any troubleshooting method or fixes?  Of course I first naturally expects the battery to be bad, but I bought 2x 9-cell batteries, the seller then send me an additional 2 x 6-cell batteries because I am having problems with the 9-cell.  The 6-cell also resulted with the same symptom so I find it hard to believe that all 4 batteries are bad.  

Here is the info on the batteries I purchased:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/9Cell-Battery-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T410-T420-T510-T520-SL410-SL510-E420-E425...

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help me to resolve this problem.

Best,

Vinh Le

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 149
Message 2 of 6

Re: New OEM 9-cell & 6-cell batteries causes laptop to suddenly shutdown with full charge

Hello and welcome,

I can't say with certainty what is going on - but those aren't OEM (Lenovo) batteries.  They are unbranded generics from who-knows-where.

I'm always suspicious of non-OEM batteries and their internal control electronics.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

VinhLe68
Blue Screen Again
Views: 140
Message 3 of 6

Re: New OEM 9-cell & 6-cell batteries causes laptop to suddenly shutdown with full charge

Hi Z! Yes, I tend to agree with you here. :-) Worse case, I'll have to go look for genuine batteries which I am sure will be at a higher cost.
vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 120
Message 4 of 6

try discharging the battery fully then charge it fully and see how that holds out

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
VinhLe68
Blue Screen Again
Views: 104
Message 5 of 6

This is a great suggestion and as a matter of fact, I have been trying to do just that however, the laptop keep shutting off during battery use. :-)
vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 94
Message 6 of 6

if the batery shut the machine down, there is definitely a problem and I would go to ebay and seek a refund

but I recall you have a some extra batteries on hand that also are problematic, suggests the batch are no good

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors