Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,559
Message 1 of 34

New T450, won't wake up after prolonged sleep

I got my new t450 3 days ago and aside from a problem installing Windows 10 everything was fine. Now however whenever I try to wake my laptop from sleep it won't wake before I plug it in to a charger.

The weird thing is this is only after it's been asleep for a prolonged period. If I wake it up after 10 minutes its fine, after an hour however the power button will flash, the fan will click but that'll be it. It will repeat these 2 actions but not actually do anything.

When I plug it into a charger however it works perfectly normally. Whenever I hold the power button down to switch it off and try to wake it again, if its still on its battery its still completely unresponsive.

This issue seems to be cropping up with other models to as a brief glance of the forums shows, anyone got a fix?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,524
Message 2 of 34

Re: New T450, won't wake up after prolonged sleep

Hello and welcome,

I don't have a fix - just a question.  When you try to wake it after a prolonged sleep, is the power LED still slowly flashing?  I mean is it still flashing before you try to wake it?

I'm wondering if it has gone into hibernation after a long sleep.  When sleeping the LED will pulse.  In hibernation it does not.

This doesn't get it fixed but might help narrow down what's going on.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,519
Message 3 of 34

I actually never checked but I'll look at it and tell you nex time it happens. If it went into hibernation after a while that would actually explain as to why it only happens when I leave it for a certain time.

nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,489
Message 4 of 34

Hey, yeah it stopped happening for a long time but when I went down today I noticed that the light wasnt flashing even though I put it on sleep, lo and behold the problem was back.

Then I try to switch it on, the backlight flashes, the power button flashes and it makes a click before switching off. After rehitting the power button 12 times and plugging it in it started up again. It then instantly started installing updates.

So I'm thinking it either has something to do with the hibernation or the updates.

mansarin
Punch Card
Views: 8,485
Message 5 of 34

I just had the exact same problem! I also just repeatedly pressed the power button while it was looping over this process, and it somehow stopped and turned on. Now it seems to be operating normally.
AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 8,445
Message 6 of 34

I have had the same problem already a few times. It seems this problem is kinda new though... it started for me like around a month ago. (End of Oktober 2015)

Though I have 2 versions of the problem:

version 1. Laptop starts up like it was powerd down.

With this I'm at my work, then walking away for some time because of a meeting. Then I come back to find out my laptop is off. Then I turn it on again, only to notice that it does a cold boot, and then I lost all my screen, remote sessions, and in some rare cases even my unsaved work that I forgot to save!! On a busy IT day this really pisses me off.

The first 2 or 3 times I wasn't sure if I did a shutdown myself by acident maybe. But at the 4th time I started looking into the event logs because I was pretty sure I did not shutdown the laptop, and found that the laptop made warnings at the startup that it could not find a clean shutdown state, proving that the laptop did not have a planned shutdown.

--> Happend to me ~4 times last month.

version 2. Laptops seems to be on, but has black screen and does not respond.

I work on a other computer for a moment, then turn back to my laptop, power led is lid, so I swipe the touchepad to awake the screen again... nothing... Pressing buttons, trying to get it into sleep using power button.. Finally doing a frustrated Cold boot by holding power button for 5 seconds. Again loosing all sessions and windows and open (somtimes unsaved) work. Also pisses me off just as much as version1. Maybe slichtly more because I don't know if this happens when laptop try's to go in sleep, or if it just reandomly happens.

--> Happend to my 2 times last month.

In total I had ~6 times that my laptop left me with frustration. I guess this is something new in a update from lenovo, Bios, or windows... Hope this will be fixed soon.

AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 8,433
Message 7 of 34

I'm really MAD!

I just had the "version 2" again. (laptop screen is black and only solution is cold boot.

In the middle of a important meeting. Wanted to show some API's that they could use and noticed my laptop was not reacting again. I really did not want to do a rest because I had my complete documents with notes of this meeting open and not yet saved. I tryed some things, also after removing the external battery. But ended up doing a reset at the end.

I just lost all my very important notes of this meeting and again stoot there helplesly while everyone was waiting on me. Finally it too to long and I did not show the API's that where developed.

I'm really done with this laptop!

- It has this freezing and power cycle problem when going in sleep.

- It has this CPU throttle problem making it unable to show HD or above media while running on battery.

- It has this Mute button (scam?) problem

- And I had this problem in the beginning for witche they replaced my mainboard already.

= And it seems there are no Lenovo officials on this forum that take action on the problems posted here.

I hope some Lenovo official can pick this up, if not I might try to get an other laptop. I like the laptop and it is almost perfect in what they do good. But the few points they fail at... they fail sooo hard at, and there is no feedback if these problems are even heard by Lenovo officials and if they are looking into it or making a fix.

I added my log events, for the small change some lenovo official might see this. You can see windows trying to go in sleep and waking up again with shutdown state as FALSE.

AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 8,401
Message 8 of 34

It did it again this day, version 2 again while in "High Performance" mode.

luckly this was on the end of the day when I was going home and just saved all my works. Still this deeply damages that trust I have in this device. I can't work with this!

nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,395
Message 9 of 34

I'm going on the theory that it might be trying to enter hibernation but I disabled the option for the computer to do that, so I enabled it and there's been no random failures. So it might be getting confused or something and not able to start up as a result.

My quick fix until I actually bother to call lenovo over this is to ensure my leptop is unplugged before I put it to sleep. Maybe it's the power plans changing and the computers picking up on that? In any case a glance through the forums is showing this issue coming up literally every day so it would be nice if Lenovo would tell us they knw about it. I didn't pay 900e for head-in-the-sand syndrome

AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 8,391
Message 10 of 34

For me it is not related to being on power or not. I have had it a few times already in meetings where I don't have any power cable options. So i'm running on battery already.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors