Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
almadenmike
Paper Tape
Views: 7,705
Message 21 of 34

Re: New T450, won't wake up after prolonged sleep

This terrible, illogical situation is happening to my wife's new T450 that was bought with Windows 10 preloaded.

Since presumably there would be no upgrade involved, what would be causing it?

Why would Deep Sleep be activated as a default if it causes so many user-unfriendly problems like this?

almadenmike
Paper Tape
Views: 7,702
Message 22 of 34

I don't see an "30-day standby" options in the "Power & Sleep" section of the Windows 10 settings.  

Are "Lenovo settings" different than the Windows 10 "control Panel" settings?  

If so, how does one access the "Lenovo settings"? And what's the purpose of having two sepate locations for important settings?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,682
Message 23 of 34

almadenmike

Windows 10 factory preloads are not affected by the issue of this thread, and I don't know what issue you are having.   But just in case, can you try the 2nd method that I wrote in my previous post?

2.  Reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS Setup.  Then, from the Config->Power page, set the option for "Intel (R) Rapid Start Technology" to "Disabled".  Then press F10 to save and exit.

Former Employee
Views: 7,619
Message 24 of 34

It appears there are two T450 sleep issues being discussed:

1. A software issue - unable to resume from deep sleep after upgrading from Win 7/8.1 to Win 10
  2. A hardware issue - unable to power on or resume from hibernation when running on battery power

Please rule out the software issue by following one of the options provided by someotherguy first:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/New-T450-won-t-wake-up-after-prolonged-s...

1. Turn off "30 day standby" option in Lenovo Settings's Power section
  2. Reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS Setup. Then, from the Config->Power page, set the option for "Intel (R) Rapid Start Technology" to "Disabled". Press F10 to save and exit.
  3. Delete the 7GB hibernation partition (needs advanced knowledge of DISKPART to do this)
  4. Go back to your previous OS (Win7 or Win8.1)

The easiest option is #1 if you have Lenovo Settings installed. If not, try #2.

Please note that a future BIOS will resolve the software issue.

If you tried one or more of the options above, yet still experience power on or sleep issues when running on battery power, Lenovo has provided a solution.

Please contact Lenovo Service for support and reference Service TIP # SF16-T0012/ HT117309. The solution requires the T450 laptop to be serviced.

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 7,488
Message 25 of 34

In response to customer reports of hanging when resuming from sleep mode on T450 and T450s ThinkPads, Lenovo has made a fix available via BIOS update.

This BIOS, v1.21, can be found here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS102109

[Problem fixes]

- Fixed an issue related to system unable to power on due to chipset hang in some specific situation.

On the T450 model only, if the system does not power on after resuming from Hibernation mode or from powering off in Battery mode after updating the BIOS to v1.21, please contact Lenovo Service for support and reference Service TIP SF16-T0012/ HT117309. The laptop will need to be serviced.

Thank you,

nf0020
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,271
Message 26 of 34

Hey, after 6 months of it not happening it started happening again so I put in that update and it seems to be working ok now, will update if there are still issues. Cheers for the help!

Neil

shammas
Paper Tape
Views: 7,000
Message 27 of 34

t450_bottom.jpg

I have the same problem. I could get over it with the reset button (5 shown in the above picture)

Now, may be I know the problem as well.

It happens to me when I have my portable power bank attached to the system via USB and I try a Sleep or Hibernate.

So looks to me that when we have an Unsupported Device attached via USB and we try a sleep/hibernate then machine fails to power on again.

Hope it helps. Lenovo... give me the guddies if this is true... :-)

ekatzy_99
What's DOS?
Views: 6,898
Message 28 of 34

OK here is a true fix to the problem but doesn't help with fixing the cause.  My T450 will go into prolonged sleep and i have taken the batery out and unplugged the laptop and tried holding down the power button, all doesn't work.  The only think that will work is this. (not Lenovo approved.)

1) unplug the power cord,

2) take out the battery

3) unscrew the screws on the bottom and remove the bottom plating (Lenovo will say this voids the warrenty)

4) There is a secondary battery located under the track pad.  Unplug that battery from the board and you will see the lights on the keyboard (green and red) go out.

5) once the lights go out on the keyboard plug in the secondary battery again.

6) screw in the bottom cover,

7) put in the primary battery

8) plug in the power cord.

9) wait a minute or two for the battery to charge in case the battery was dead,

10) hit the power button

problem fixed.

i'm going to be asking for a new laptop from my work (we have seen this problem a lot) i Think we might change to Dell's

Former Employee
Views: 6,791
Message 29 of 34

In response to questions about 30 Day Standby and how it works, Lenovo has created a Knowledge Article.

Information about 30 Day Standby can be found here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/What-is-Lenovo-s-30-Day-Standby/ta-p/3375188

Thank you,

dbouchette
What's DOS?
Views: 6,249
Message 30 of 34

After having this happen for the third time or possibly fourth time, and after tech support failed to immediately resolve my issue, I have discovered a solution.  I have used T series Lenovo laptops for years without issue, but these new style T450’s are completely different and not made anything like the previous generation known for reliability.  Just try to add memory to one of these T450’s as compared to the old models and you’ll know what I mean.  Enough ranting….on to the meat.

CAUSE:  In my case, I believe the cause of this failure is allowing the laptop to sleep too long where the battery dies.  I am certain now that this is what I have done each time this laptop has failed.

HISTORY:  The first time this happened, Lenovo sent a box for me to ship the laptop back and they replaced the motherboard.  This was after only a few weeks of ownership.  The second time this happened, Lenovo tech support advised how to do an “emergency reset”; which involves removing the external battery, removing the AC power adapter and pushing a small paperclip or sewing needle in the bottom of the laptop to engage a reset button.  Then plug in only the AC adapter and try to power unit up again.  This worked for my second and third time this happened.  Today, the emergency reset trick did not work  and Lenovo offered to send a return shipping box to my hotel (which would arrive a day after I need to check out) and they would have to fix the unit.  Well, I’m dead in the water out of state without my software and specific programs so desperation takes over.

SOLUTION:  I know there is also an internal battery for a few hours of power inside the laptop.  Removing the bottom cover I intended to unplug that internal battery and trying the “emergency reset” procedure again.  It didn’t work….but what did work was removing the BIOS battery cable for a few seconds and then the computer booted again.  You will need to enter the BIOS screen again to set the clock again, but at least my computer booted and is working for me to tell everyone else. 

I certainly hope this helps someone else that Levono seems not to be able to.  Not everyone is capable of this procedure, so I caution anyone who is not familiar with working on these type of components, to leave this to professionals.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors