Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drjoe66
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,056
Message 1 of 59

New T460s problems

Received my T460s yesterday. I have two major issues with the computer:

1) The Wifi is incredcibly slow. I also have a T440s. In the same spot, the T440s get 4-6x the Wifi speed of the 460s. This is consistent in 2 different locations over multiple measurments.

2) I have gone through 3 complete battery charges now. The longest I even got was 3 hours. Just installing software and typing, no gaming or intense graphics. The T440s with the same settings and the small battery in the rear gets about 6 hours with similar use.

Any ideas on how to improve the Wifi?

Argenteus
Paper Tape
Views: 10,627
Message 2 of 59

Re: New T460s problems

I've also purchased a T460s getting it just a few days ago. I haven't had problems with the wifi but I have questions with the battery problems. I have decreased my screen brightness to 30-50% depending on the light in the room. When typing word docs I thnk the  brightness burns battery power, sometimes as much as 60% of your battery goes to the screen or so the battery monitor is telling me. So I've kicked up the life to over 6 hours with less brightness, but I don't think I should have to kick down an ultrabook that much to get what was promissed. 

I did have a problem with the recommended scaling at 150% which crashed the display drive several times. then I set it to 125% and it's fine.

drjoe66
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,604
Message 3 of 59

Thanks. Somehow the wifi got better with time. I don't really know why......

The biggist issue for me is battery life. Here is the quote from the Lenovo web page  "all-day battery life". This is plain false advertising and misleading to the customer. My workday is not 4 hours, i wish it was. I sometimes need high brightness in my work environment and cannot afford to run at 40% brightness or lower. I went back to my old T440s with the 12 hours battery life. The T460s is pretty much useless to me  now.

trackpointer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,565
Message 4 of 59

Why not return it?

Former Employee
Views: 10,524
Message 5 of 59

In response to customer reports of a decrease in available battery life on some ThinkPads, including the T460s, X1 Yoga, P50, and P70 models, running Synaptics Fingerprint Driver v5.0.62.30, Lenovo has released an updated fingerprint driver.

The Synaptics Fingerprint Driver v 5.0.88.04 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS105408

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 10,410
Message 6 of 59

Thank you all for alerting us to battery life issues. Amy provided the link to the new FPR driver, which will make a noticeable difference. You can also update your Win10 system by following the instructions below:

• Hit Start
  • Select All Apps
  • Select Lenovo Companion
  • Click in the upper-left hand corner and select “System Update”

I've also posted a separate topic on the forum with the same details 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Improving-battery-life-on-T460s/m-p/3292...

Thank you so much for posting about your experience. and we appreciate your business. 

ThinkPad Product Marketing

ozhant
What's DOS?
Views: 10,258
Message 7 of 59

Hi Amy,

Could you please provide me with the actual change in battery life after driver update?

The marketing lines claim all-day battery, and people write in reviews that the batter lasts only a few hours even with web-surfing alone without video.

I am a little confused. Is the fingerprint driver the sole reason for the battery drainage?

How much does the battery life improve after update?

Could you please provide me with solid numbers if possible?

I am about make a deicision to purchase this product or not.

Thanks

drjoe66
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,225
Message 8 of 59

I am curious, too. I will install the update tomorrow and test over the weekend. Currently, the laptop is unacceptable. I have my doubts the new driver will magically give me all day battery.

ozhant
What's DOS?
Views: 10,206
Message 9 of 59

Please let me know as soon as you find out. Lenovo T460s seems to be the best value, but if the battery life is not good, then I would need to go with another option since I am always on the road.

Thank you very much in advance

onix
SCSI Port
Views: 10,116
Message 10 of 59

Having owned multiple T-series laptops, T43, T60p, T430s, and T460s, the battery life on the T460s is as advertised.  If it is not, and you get less than 8 hours on while on WiFi with mild CPU use -- return it.  Currently, my Lenovo battery manager on a two-week old T460s, says 4:44 (50% left), and its been at 12/15 brightness... YMMV, but it should really not be any less than 6hour of full-time use.

Given that the battery is harder to replace on the T460s, if the battery doesn't work after initial setup and driver updates, replace it with one that is not a lemon.

FWIW, this is the first T-series where the battery life is now usable on a coast-to-coast flight.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors