Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoonerLater
Serial Port
Views: 334
Message 1 of 5

New T480 - Cannot update to Windows 1903

I just bought a brand new T480 (which ships with Windows 1809) from lenovo.com from for my son to take to university (in a week). On arrival, I ran Windows Update and Lenovo Vantage update until neither showed any futher updates available to install. So far, so good. 48 hours later, Windows Update started showing that the Windows 1903 update was available so I tried to install it too. It churne for hours (literally) but always failed to install in the end. Next I downloaded the Windows 10 Update Assistant to have it handle the update to Windows 1903. It too churned for more than an hour, but ultimately the update failed. There are no error messages given. If there's a log file containing more verbose error information, I don't know where it is. I've done some Googling and browsed this forum, but if anyone else is having this problem, they haven't posted about it. 

At this point, I don't mind very much the idea of doing a factory reset and reinstalling the OS from scratch, but I'd prefer to update from here. I have installed a few apps (e.g. MS Office; an FTP client; etc.), but I can reinstall them after a wipe. However, it is critically important that this notebook be in optimal condition when my son takes it away to college next week. He has some computer skills, but I don't want him to have the distraction of having to do maintenance on a brand new pc. 

Any suggestions? Any questions I can answer for further troubleshooting? 

SoonerLater
Serial Port
Views: 305
Message 2 of 5

Re: New T480 - Cannot update to Windows 1903

UPDATE:

There is an error 0x80240034 for the installation of "Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1903 (5)." The last attempt (of several) to install that gives that error. I've googled that error and several threads talk about fixing it, but surprisingly there's not a defintion of the error on microsoft.com. 

All other attempted updates were successful. This "Feature Update" is the only one to fail (and fail repeatedly). 

The Update Troublehshooter found no issues.

I'm going to try a new ISO install (offline) next.

SoonerLater
Serial Port
Views: 266
Message 3 of 5

RESOLVED:

I used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to download the 1903 ISO to a USB flash drive. I wiped the existing partition (leaving intact the various Lenovo recovery partitions) and installed 1903 to the same (wiped) partition. I had to reinstall apps, but it was worth it. It now runs smooth as silk. The T480 is all updated and patched and ready to go to college. 

sktn77a
802.11n
Views: 216
Message 4 of 5

Just curious, how did you know it was the 1903 ISO download?  I don't see anything on the windows download page with a version number?

Keith
Currently 1xT460, 4xT430, 1xT420 Ideapad K1, H520S,
Formerly 1x600E, 1xT40, 1xT41, 2xT42, 2xT61p

SoonerLater
Serial Port
Views: 76
Message 5 of 5

Sorry for late reply... 

If you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 today (2019-Sep-08) the page lets you download the tool (which is named MediaCreationTool1903.exe) and the 10 May 2019 update. When I went there, it let me download the tool, which I used to upgrade to ver. 1903. Today, it looks like, it would let you go farther. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors