Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faraz
Punch Card
Views: 1,606
Message 1 of 8

New T500 Grinding Noise from Hard Drive

My brand new T500 Hard Drive makes off and on very faint grinding noise. The grinding happens for 6 times and then goes away for 5-10 seconds and then happens again and so on.

Is this normal or is my new hard drive defective, and should I ask Lenovo for a replacement hard drive? 

I ran the lenovo hard drive diagnostic tool and it did not find any issues.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,592
Message 2 of 8

Re: New T500 Grinding Noise from Hard Drive

it would be good to make a recording, but the frequency of the noises suggest your drive head is constantly parking itself... 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
faraz
Punch Card
Views: 1,577
Message 3 of 8

You are correct, I think the drive head is parking itself because when I click on Start-->All Programs it takes a few secs to load up, once it is loaded up then it acts fine. I have another thinkpad with similar config and it is much faster. Noise is way too faint to make a recording but when the tv is off I could hear it and it bugs the hell out of me.

If the drive head parks itself, is that a bad thing? Can it be fixed with software?

Message Edited by faraz on 07-18-2009 10:32 AM
Views: 1,572
Message 4 of 8

go into thinkvantage software list under program, there should thinkvantage shock protection, you should select the sensitivity to lower threshold, this will stop the hdd from parking the head everytime it feels a minor bump or movement. 
Regards,

Jin Li

faraz
Punch Card
Views: 1,566
Message 5 of 8

Changed the threshold to half sensitivity. I think this HDD itself is noisy, but strangely the noise is much reduced and less frequent today as compared to last night. It's way too annoying when it starts to make grinding noise constantly. I just hope it doesn't crash.

If I install a new HDD, will my XPP cds download the OS on a blank drive, because this comp came with Vista sticker, I downgraded to XPP.

Views: 1,535
Message 6 of 8

If you got the official downgrade discs, you can also use it on the new hdd, the Vista Business and Ultimate can be downgraded provided that you have the downgrade discs, it is approved by Microsoft. 
Regards,

Jin Li

faraz
Punch Card
Views: 1,524
Message 7 of 8

Thank you.
faraz
Punch Card
Views: 1,346
Message 8 of 8

Fortunately Dell has released firmware update DE17 for the following Seagate models that seems to work for my Lenovo:

• ST9120411ASG
  • ST9160411ASG
  • ST9200423ASG
  • ST9250421ASG
  • ST9320421ASG
  • ST980411ASG

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R211337&SystemID=P...

Save the download to your desktop, then extract the files. Save image of ISO file thru Roxio cd maker to a CD. Shut down the pc, restart, F1, goto startup and select CD0  drive, hit F10 

Top Kudoed Authors