Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,882
Message 1 of 11

New T520: Suggestions for Hard drive upgrade

Hello Everyone -

I've just got my new T520 with DOS (Operating system) and 320 GB 7200 rpm hard drive.

My T520 basically has nothing in it. I plan to install Win7, upgrade RAM, and all the drivers, to make the machine operable this weekend.

I had purchased the Hitachi Travelstar SATA 500GB 7200 rpm drive last year. The model no is : HD205000 IDK/7K.

My plan was to replace the stock 320GB with the 500 GB Hitachi in the T520. And then use the 320 GB in my older T500 machine. (The part number for the 320 GB hard drive that the T520 came with is: 0A68552 - SBB 320GB HDD7200RPM)

Do you think it's advisable to switch to the Hitachi 500Gb drive immediately on the T520:

- Will the Hitachi drive be better than the stock 320GB Thinkpad T520 drive, considering the Hitachi is more than a year old? Is Lenovo using a newer technology of hard drives on the recent thinkpads?

- What about reliability, quality etc? Are the stock thinkpad drives MORE reliable than the retail drives purchased from the market? I was a little scared after reading some Amazon reviews of Hitachi TravelStar dying in a few months.

I would love the extra 180 of storage on my Thinkpad, so I am hoping if someone can throw some light on whether it's a good idea to use Retail HDDs as primary drives on Thinkpads, from the reliability/quality perspective? Any opinions are much appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!

Guru
Views: 2,866
Message 2 of 11

Re: New T520: Suggestions for Hard drive upgrade

Unless that 320GB is a Scorpio Black, I think the Hitachi will be equal or greater in speed due to it's density.

If your stock drive is a Seagate, well... I personally don't trust Seagate drives.

The parts are definitely compatible between the two drives and the two ThinkPads.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,863
Message 3 of 11

I'd install a SSD as the system drive and put the 500GB in a ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter III. This way you'll have SSD speed for you OS and programs without giving up storage space.

imjimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,856
Message 4 of 11

@ColonelONeill wrote:
Unless that 320GB is a Scorpio Black, I think the Hitachi will be equal or greater in speed due to it's density.

If your stock drive is a Seagate, well... I personally don't trust Seagate drives.

The parts are definitely compatible between the two drives and the two ThinkPads.

Thanks for this!  That's very helpful.  Are you saying that Hitachi's in general are more reliable than Seagate? 

I'll probably go with this HITACHI 500Gb as the primary drive.  And then I'll use the stock 320 GB HDD either as a secondary drive or plonk it in my older T500.

imjimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,855
Message 5 of 11

@JDay wrote:

I'd install a SSD as the system drive and put the 500GB in a ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter III. This way you'll have SSD speed for you OS and programs without giving up storage space.

Thanks for the suggestion.   Seems like a good idea too.  I had tried for 80GB-100 GB SSD, but they were in the  $200 range, and seemed a little pricey.   Do you know if the SSDs are "less" reliable than the traditional HDDs? 

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,844
Message 6 of 11

@imjimmy wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.   Seems like a good idea too.  I had tried for 80GB-100 GB SSD, but they were in the  $200 range, and seemed a little pricey.   Do you know if the SSDs are "less" reliable than the traditional HDDs? 

I've been using a 120GB Corsair Force 2 in my T510 for around 5 months now with no issues at all. If you're worried about reliability go with an Intel SSD, they are rock solid and have a 5 year warranty. In any case you should always keep backups.

panzerjeffrey
Token Ring
Views: 2,837
Message 7 of 11

i like Hitatchi HDDs. they make a 750GB Travelstar 7200 16 now too... just installed as an extra drive where my optical used to be. the HItatchi is comparable to the thinkpad drive, and when i had to replace my original HDD due to droppage, lenovo replaced it with a Hitatchi.
imjimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,831
Message 8 of 11

@panzerjeffrey wrote:
i like Hitatchi HDDs. they make a 750GB Travelstar 7200 16 now too... just installed as an extra drive where my optical used to be. the HItatchi is comparable to the thinkpad drive, and when i had to replace my original HDD due to droppage, lenovo replaced it with a Hitatchi.

Thanks.  So you have the TravelStar 7k750.   I have the previous version of this i.e 7k500, which was in maximum size of 500 GB.  ( http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/mobile/travelstar/travelstar-7k500 ).

Good to know that Lenovo themselves uses these hard drives.  That means the T520 stock 320 GB HDD, likely won't be very different from these.  So I'll swap that and plonk this 500 GB instead.

I also plan to remove the optical drive and put another HDD in there.

Do you know of a compatible Ultrabay for T520 for this purpose?  THe Ultrabay III has uptil T510 in specs, but not T520..

imjimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,830
Message 9 of 11

@JDay wrote:

@imjimmy wrote:

I've been using a 120GB Corsair Force 2 in my T510 for around 5 months now with no issues at all. If you're worried about reliability go with an Intel SSD, they are rock solid and have a 5 year warranty. In any case you should always keep backups.

Thanks.  I'll explore SSD's a little more and see if they work out for me.

BTW did you experience a noticeable "real-life" performance difference with SSD viz a viz HDDs?  I don't do any gaming. Most of my work is using all of the office apps.  Lots of web browsing for research, and sometimes using simulation tools for analysis.    I also watch the ocassional movies and do some video editing + image editing..

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,828
Message 10 of 11

@imjimmy wrote:

BTW did you experience a noticeable "real-life" performance difference with SSD viz a viz HDDs?  I don't do any gaming. Most of my work is using all of the office apps.  Lots of web browsing for research, and sometimes using simulation tools for analysis.    I also watch the ocassional movies and do some video editing + image editing..

A big difference, no more waiting on the OS for anything. I'd keep video/pictures that you are working with on the second hard drive in the ultrabay when you get that, you only need the speed of the SSD for your OS and programs. That's how I have mine setup, OS/Programs on the SSD and the ultrabay HDD for everything else. You'll use up all the space on the SSD pretty fast if you use it for storage.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors