Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

11-20-2013

USA

45 Signins

264 Page Views

• Views: 264
  • Message 1 of 8

New T530: same boot time after cloning HDD to SSD - what to do next to optimize performance?

2014-01-06, 0:32 AM

Hi,

This is my very first post here so bear with me if I have not observed any guidelines.

After I got a new T530 from Lenovo (i5-3230M, 8G RAM 1DIMM, 500GB 7200rpm HDD, 1920x1080, 16GB Micro SSD SATA3, NVIDIA Optimus with 1GB), I swapped the DVD burner with the 500GB HDD and put a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro as my primary drive. I cloned all HDD contents to the SSD and removed all stuff in the HDD (I don't have a Windows 7 disk that's why I didn't do a clean install on the SSD). After these changes, I found my boot time to still be 30 seconds - which I guess is quite slow for an SSD main drive.

I've read up a fair bit on the Lenovo Community and the ThinkPad forum for solutions but have not found a conclusive answer to this problem. I guess I just want some advice from experienced users on what to do next after cloing the HDD to the SSD so that I can optimize the SSD's performance.

1) I found the 16GB Micro SSD SATA3 is named "Lenovo_Recovery (Q:)". As I don't have a Windows 7 installation disk, is it possible for me to perform a clean install on my SSD C: Drive from the Recovery?

2) If recovery is not possible, I am thinking of removing some of the bloatware(Corel burner, Nitro Pro, and many ThinkVantage utilities). But I also read somewhere that simply removing them does not help much (as opposed to a clean install). Is there anything Lenovo software worth saving (power manager maybe?)

To be sure both my TRIM and AHCI are enabled. I welcome and am grateful for inputs of other advice outside the above two questions: for example whether I should disable paging files or set paging files to the 500GB HDD disk; whether I should create a RAM disk, whether I should delete or shift system retore files, or whether I should change locations for certain temporary files.

Many thanks for your input :)

Answer
Options

216 Posts

12-31-2013

United States of America

95 Signins

2697 Page Views

• Views: 2697

Re: New T530: same boot time after cloning HDD to SSD - what to do next to optimize performance?

2014-01-06, 21:57 PM

You want to install or include in the slipstream the latest driver for all your T530 hardware... chipset, sound, video, network, etc.  One obvious suggestion I omitted is before you begin be sure to update your BIOS to 2.57.  Just download to a usb drive or burn to a cd and follow the directions.  This way EVERYthing will be new and pristine.

In 7Lite you just upload all the updated you downloaded via WUD.  You can skip the SP1 integration if you download the X17 (03-2013) win7 iso, as it already includes SP1.  This way your w7 install be the latest and greatest, hideous online windows updating, restarting and later purging all sorts of registry entries and dll files.  Best advise is to just play around with 7Lite for 20 minutes and you'll understand it's power and what it does.  Go download and install the downloader and download all the undates in a folder you later have 7Lite upload from.  It may sound confusing, but it's not.  WUD has some good guides out there too.  This is how us Admins recomplile, image and install the latest freshest OS on machines.  It's always the slimest, fastest and most reliable w7 possible.

Some 7Lite how-to...

http://windows.appstorm.net/how-to/windows-7/how-to-slipstream-windows-7-and-simplify-reinstallations/

http://lifehacker.com/5894838/customize-your-windows-installation-to-create-the-os-of-your-dreams

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/145343-slipstream-windows-7-sp1-into-installation-dvd-iso-file.html

If you get stuck just shout out.  Good luck.

W530 | 3840QM | 32g @ 1.35v CL9 1986z | 512g 840 Pro | 1t HGST 7200 | FHD AUO v.4 | Quadro K2k | GOBI 5k | Centrino 6300

Replies(7)
Options

216 Posts

12-31-2013

United States of America

95 Signins

2697 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: New T530: same boot time after cloning HDD to SSD - what to do next to optimize performance?

2014-01-06, 15:46 PM

All will be fixed with a clean install.  I never ever recommend cloning over an OS from an hdd to sdd.  Fortunately, you don't need the win7 disc.  Just use your registration key and download the appropriate iso here.  Even better is to slipstream the iso prior to install with the latest updates from WUD and all the latest T530 drivers.  I prefer 7Lite but WinToolkit is a litte faster; both are fantastic slipstream apps.

This way the OS wil opimize the ssd with trim, etc.  Plus make sure to install the latest Magician 4.3 software for that 840 Pro to gain RAPID. Also be certain you set the sata port to ACHI.

BTW, your mSata is not sata III, but rather only II - aka 3GB/s.

W530 | 3840QM | 32g @ 1.35v CL9 1986z | 512g 840 Pro | 1t HGST 7200 | FHD AUO v.4 | Quadro K2k | GOBI 5k | Centrino 6300
Options

18 Posts

11-20-2013

USA

45 Signins

264 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2014-01-06, 20:53 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Could you also kindly suggest how I should decide which drivers I need to install among all that are available on the lenovo website (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?selector=expand). I would also be very nice if you could briefly describe how I can make use of WUD with 7 lite?

Thank you so much!

Answer
Options

216 Posts

12-31-2013

United States of America

95 Signins

2697 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2014-01-06, 21:57 PM

You want to install or include in the slipstream the latest driver for all your T530 hardware... chipset, sound, video, network, etc.  One obvious suggestion I omitted is before you begin be sure to update your BIOS to 2.57.  Just download to a usb drive or burn to a cd and follow the directions.  This way EVERYthing will be new and pristine.

In 7Lite you just upload all the updated you downloaded via WUD.  You can skip the SP1 integration if you download the X17 (03-2013) win7 iso, as it already includes SP1.  This way your w7 install be the latest and greatest, hideous online windows updating, restarting and later purging all sorts of registry entries and dll files.  Best advise is to just play around with 7Lite for 20 minutes and you'll understand it's power and what it does.  Go download and install the downloader and download all the undates in a folder you later have 7Lite upload from.  It may sound confusing, but it's not.  WUD has some good guides out there too.  This is how us Admins recomplile, image and install the latest freshest OS on machines.  It's always the slimest, fastest and most reliable w7 possible.

Some 7Lite how-to...

http://windows.appstorm.net/how-to/windows-7/how-to-slipstream-windows-7-and-simplify-reinstallations/

http://lifehacker.com/5894838/customize-your-windows-installation-to-create-the-os-of-your-dreams

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/145343-slipstream-windows-7-sp1-into-installation-dvd-iso-file.html

If you get stuck just shout out.  Good luck.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8975 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77778 Signins

2227370 Page Views

• Views: 2227370
  • Message 5 of 8

2014-01-06, 22:22 PM

wrote:

1) I found the 16GB Micro SSD SATA3 is named "Lenovo_Recovery (Q:)". As I don't have a Windows 7 installation disk, is it possible for me to perform a clean install on my SSD C: Drive from the Recovery?

You're already getting detailed advice here.  I'm just chiming it to say that the above doesn't sound quite right.

Lenovo_Recovery (Q) is normally a partition on the main drive and contains the recovery image.  It wouldn't be on the micro SSD - AFAIK.  The recovery image contains an as-shipped image of your working partitions.  Even if you used it, you wouldn't get what's considered a "clean" install (from MS media and without the Lenovo additions).  You'd get the OS as shipped - modified and added-to by Lenovo.

That micro SSD is probably part of the reason you don't see much difference in your boot times.  It caches frequently-used files and (at least once trained or pre-loaded) sort of simulates running from an SSD.  Without it your original boot time would probably have been longer.

[edit] Did you make recovery media from your HDD before removing it from the main bay.  I'm all for clean installs (how I run my T420) but that might be handy to have down the road some time.  Also you might want to pull a copy of SWTOOLS (I think that's what it's called these days...) and save it on DVD or someplace.  There are a few things you can't download from the Lenovo site (3rd-party multimedia apps, for example) that you might want to add to a clean install later. The installers are in SWTOOLS (or whatever it's called....)

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

18 Posts

11-20-2013

USA

45 Signins

264 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2014-01-07, 7:46 AM

Thanks so much for the explanation! After the clean installation, boot is under 15 seconds now so I'm pretty impressed. One final question though. But as I tried installing a slew of drivers from Lenovo Support for T530, I experienced a wierd problem. The T530 could not connect to (a school) WiFi while all my other devices can (and also this T530 before I clean installed). However, when I set up a hotspot using my mobile phone's 4G, the T530 can connect and go online, which is pretty strange. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? Thanks!

Options

18 Posts

11-20-2013

USA

45 Signins

264 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2014-01-07, 18:18 PM

Thank you for your reply! After the clean installation, boot is under 15 seconds now so I'm pretty impressed. Unfortunately I did not make a back-up before I erased all data from the original main HDD drive. To my regret, as I now experienced the above-identified wifi connection issue I cannot go to a previous restore (or Lenovo's back-up) to at least restore the computer to a slower-boot but full functional state. This is a tough lesson learnt.

And also you are quite right in saying that the Q: partition is on the main drive.

Options

18 Posts

11-20-2013

USA

45 Signins

264 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2014-01-08, 2:36 AM

Hi.

Now all problems are revolved after I found myself a LAN cable and installed relevant Windows 7 updates. One of the updates include an authentication certificate that the school website required, which was why I could connet to LAN and my mobile hotspot. Thanks so much for your kind assistance. Your links are quite very useful.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms