cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jagger425
Paper Tape
Views: 1,458
Message 1 of 4

New Thinkpad T440 slow after Intel Management Engine Firmware update to version 9.5

A couple of days ago i updated the Intel Management Engine Firmware to version 9.5 through the Lenovo System Update software. Imediately after restarting I noticed how much slower the computer was.

It took some extra time to boot up, and was much, MUCH slower at starting up apps like spotify and firefox, etc. I also noticed a massive slowdown when playing.

The task manager shows a normal usage of CPU, RAM and GPU, I'm usually at no more than 40% and I can still notice the slow down at all times. Is there a way to roll this update back? Do I have to wait until another not-messed up update?

Thanks in advance.

top79
What's DOS?
Views: 1,296
Message 2 of 4

Re: New Thinkpad T440 slow after Intel Management Engine Firmware update to version 9.5

Hi Jagger425

I too have huge speed issues after updating my T440s to the most recent Intel Managment Engine firmware update, the laptop is so slow that i am unable to get any work done, before this update i worked perfectly, and was only going to replace it because the warranty had run out, but now i HAVE to replace it to get my work done.

I wish i could find out how to restore the old firmware, and live with the security breach.

Jagger425
Paper Tape
Views: 1,276
Message 3 of 4

Re: New Thinkpad T440 slow after Intel Management Engine Firmware update to version 9.5

I actually found a solution, I hope it fixes your problem as well. It seems Intel Speedstep reduces your processor's clock speed in order to reduce power usage, however it must be severely bugged, reducing it to something like 20% and making the computer unusable.

The solution I found is quite simple, access the BIOS settings and disable Intel Speedstep. I'm not sure its necessary, but I also disabled any and all power saving tools related to the processor. If you load up the resource monitor (type "resmon" in the Windows search bar) you can see your processor's max clock speed. I went from 20% to 75%. I wish I could hit 100% but I am unsure how to change it. Either way it solved 99% of my problems, and I can run anything just fine.

I hope this helps you, cheers!

top79
What's DOS?
Views: 1,256
Message 4 of 4

Hi Jagger

Thank you for your reply.

I tried what you suggested, and it seemed it helped a little bit, it's not back at full speed but maybe improved performance about 25%

But i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new T580, which hopefully will restore the speed at which i normally perform my daily work :-)

Have a great day and once again thank you for your reply.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors