Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parampampam
Paper Tape
Views: 1,577
Message 1 of 3

New loud fan noise T470

The fan of my less-than-half-a-year-old T470 suddenly began to emit strange noise (video). I tried to apply a vacuum cleaner to the fan output to remove possible external pieces that might cause it (didn’t work) and also looked on the fan with the back panel removed (cannot see anything unusual). Is there a chance to fix this without going to the service?

Thanks

LelouchV
802.11n
Views: 1,547
Message 2 of 3

Re: New loud fan noise T470

To me, this definitely sounds like something is stuck in there. As in the fans are spinning and constantly hitting the foreign object. I recommend opening up the back cover (If you're comfortable with messing around the internals of your computer) and using an actual dust spray for laptop fans. Those sprays are under pressure and can remove tons more than any vacuum cleaner. Now, I don't know exactly how YOUR laptop is, so to access the fan in the way needed to clean them may require you to open more than just the back cover, but that's unlikely. 

If you open up the back cover and have access to the fan, try spinning it with your finger to see if it makes the same sound (Just to make sure it really is from the fan hitting something stuck in there). If you have the option to "turbo boost" or something like that which speeds up your fan drastically, I'd try that too. Let me know what happens.

parampampam
Paper Tape
Views: 1,446
Message 3 of 3

Re: New loud fan noise T470

Thank you for your answer.

I removed the back panel and tried to clean the fan with compressed gas electronics duster. After all, it did not help. The noise certaly was from the fan, but i was unable to find or remove it's source. So i took my laptop to the service. 

Top Kudoed Authors