Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SequoiaD
Paper Tape
Views: 1,526
Message 1 of 7

Newest BIOS update breaks T440p fingerprint reader

I installed the BIOS version 2.46 (rel. 12/18/2017) today for my T440p and after the flash, my fingerprint reader stopped working. In Windows device manager it reports an unknown USB device which has "descriptor request failed". Then I entered the BIOS config and found that the fingerprint reader was not detected at all even out of the OS. Under security tab I tried to reset fingerprint data and it said that no fingerprint reader was detected.

Now I have rolled back to the last BIOS version 2.44 and the fingerprint reader started to work again. I am aware that the latest 2.46 addresses the meltdown exploit so please investigate and fix this problem...

Thanks,

SequoiaD
Paper Tape
Views: 1,319
Message 2 of 7

Re: Newest BIOS update breaks T440p fingerprint reader

Now updated to bios version 2.47 and the fingerprint stopped working again... The same symptoms: in Windows the device is unrecognized and the BIOS does not detect the presence of the fingerprint reader either. Could someone help to take a look?

schae614
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,299
Message 3 of 7

My P51s' fingerprint reader stopped working after a Lenovo system update (optional) as well...
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,184
Message 4 of 7

I could not reproduce this issue on ThinkPad T440p here.  The fingerprint sensor is working well before and after the upgrade to BIOS version 2.47...  But if BIOS is saying "fingerprint sensor not found" after doing "Reset Fingerprint Data", it stongly suggests BIOS problem like you suspect.  Just in case, can you please tell me what BIOS is reporting for UEFI BIOS Version, Embedded Controller Version, and ME Firmware Version on the main screen?  I want to make sure I am testing with all the same versions here.  If I can reproduce the problem here, I am sure we can find a fix.  But if I can't reproduce it here, I am not sure what I will be able to do to help you...

SequoiaD
Paper Tape
Views: 1,180
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

Very interestingly after the most recent Windows 10 update KB4090913 , the fingerprint reader is working again. I am not sure why a Windows update would affect the BIOS to detect the existence of the fingerprint reader... Will keep you updated if the same symptom happens again.

thank you,

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,177
Message 6 of 7

@SequoiaD wrote:

Hi,

Very interestingly after the most recent Windows 10 update KB4090913 , the fingerprint reader is working again. I am not sure why a Windows update would affect the BIOS to detect the existence of the fingerprint reader... Will keep you updated if the same symptom happens again.

thank you,

I heard that a recent Win10 update caused USB problems, and an even newer Win10 update fixed them.  The fingerprint reader is a USB device, so it makes sense that Windows was having problems.  But I agree with you, I don't understand how a Microsoft screw-up could affect whether BIOS detects the fingerprint sensor.  Anyway, glad to know it's fixed now.

FY2
Paper Tape
Views: 931
Message 7 of 7

I have used my beloved T440P since 2013, I have been struggling for using this computer for the past 5 years, I have upgraded many hardwares to feed my unlimted demands. However, this time is really boils me up because the BIOS melts the fingerprint in this way. I put my whole life information and my works really depends on this machine everyday. Whatever happening now is I have to migrate all my data on the google drive in order to avoid any accident because I even noticed the F1 Sound Off button also mysteriously malfunctioning sometime... It seems like the legendary hardware really got some unexpected problem. I really need to beg the Lenovo and Microsoft : Please really do some update to solve problems but not creating fatal issues. Some loyalty people same as me are not computer experts, just please dont push me to go for the Google Pixel Chrome Book. It would be just only one step forward.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors