Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Punch Card
0 Kudos

Re: OS freeze and force shutdown

I've tried running MemTest. I ran it for a couple of hours (~10 tests) and it passed all of them. But right after that during the Windows boot I received this BSOD:

http://i53.tinypic.com/28mk0vq.jpg

I found out that dtsoftbus01.sys is related to Daemon Tools so I booted up in Safe Mode, uninstalled the thing - no more BSOD. But as soon as chose to login using the fingerprint reader the computer got stuck again. I reboot, choose to enter the username manually, type in the details and the OS gets frozen again on the Welcome Screen.

After running sfc /scannow and chkdisk in Safe Mode I didn't know what to do but restore to defaults using Rescue & Recovery (but that would totally wipe the thing out destroying my PostgreSQL database which would kind of suck). So I gave it another chance and tried the option of starting Windows with last known good configuration that worked. And what do you know - it did boot up and I finally got to logon, although I don't know if my system is now stable or not..

Here's the report from WhoCrashed:

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 2011.09.15 01:00:12 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091511-13072-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dtsoftbus01.sys (dtsoftbus01+0x1308) 
Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x23E, 0xFFFFF88001401308, 0xFFFFF98009E14EA0, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 
Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier 
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: dtsoftbus01.sys . 
Google query: dtsoftbus01.sys DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 

Here's the dump file itself:

Crash dump file:        C:\Windows\Minidump\091511-13072-01.dmp
Date/time:              2011.09.15 01:00:12 GMT
Uptime:                 00:00:12
Machine:                
Bug check name:         DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 
Bug check code:         0xC9
Bug check parm 1:       0x23E
Bug check parm 2:       0xFFFFF88001401308
Bug check parm 3:       0xFFFFF98009E14EA0
Bug check parm 4:       0x0
Probably caused by:     dtsoftbus01.sys
Driver description:     
Driver product:         
Driver company:         
OS build:               
Architecture:           x64 (64 bit)
CPU count:              4
Page size:              4096

Bug check description:
This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier 

Comments:
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: dtsoftbus01.sys . 

Kernel stack from WhoCrashed:

nt+0x7CC40
nt+0x5063DC
0x000000C9
0x0000023E
dtsoftbus01+0x1308
0xFFFFF98009E14EA0

I also have uploaded the .xml,.dmp and the BSOD screenshot:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c91q1c

ThinkPad T520 i5-2410M(2.3GHz), 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 15.6in 1600x900 LCD, NVIDIA NVS 4200M 1GB
Token Ring
0 Kudos

That bluescreen is definately caused by a bug in the Daemon Tools virtual device driver. The same bug could have also caused 10-minute freezes. Do you have any additional problems? If not, I would attribute the problem to Daemon Tools and consider it solved.

Punch Card
0 Kudos

I have completely got rid of the Daemon Tools and still had the freeze ...

I'ts really starting to annoy me. I'll probably go for the R&R restore thing and see if that happens with the freshly reinstalled OS.

I have one question about R&R. Will it wipe out both partition or just the root partition which is C:\? I'm gonna move some files to partition D:\ and then restore my fresh Windows installation.

ThinkPad T520 i5-2410M(2.3GHz), 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 15.6in 1600x900 LCD, NVIDIA NVS 4200M 1GB
Token Ring
0 Kudos

I'm not sure about the R&R thing. I've heard of people who have had trouble with R&R when there were multiple partitions on the hard drive though.

Punch Card

I ended up completely reinstalling the Windows (I purchased my ThinkPad with DOS only, since I had the license key from my old laptop, which I kind of regret now because it didn't have the hidden recovery partition..). I opened up the System Update and it found a whole bunch of drivers that weren't install at first (last time it mostly was utilities and the nVidia Optmus driver, now there was a ton more system drivers etc.)

So I guess the instability of my system came from incompletely installed drivers and missing apps (mostly Intel stuff). So far so good, the system has been running very stable and I think that the battery life is way much better now than it was before (Before the reinstall it was about 1-1.5hrs on Max. Performance and now it's almost 3hrs).

So anyone experienced these freezes, make sure the System Update downloads all the necessary drivers (it should be 20+ something). If it doesn't go to the Lenovo Support site, detect your system and download them manually (especially these Intel AMT ones, chipset and HDD thingies).

Highlighted
Punch Card
0 Kudos

I have had several issues with company laptops freezing and removing Lenovo Power Management software (not the driver) seemed to fix it.
Broadband 3G
0 Kudos

GiedriusZ wrote:

I ended up completely reinstalling the Windows (I purchased my ThinkPad with DOS only, since I had the license key from my old laptop,

That license can only legally be used on your old laptop. Not too smart to admit to breaking the law on a public forum.