Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyao
What's DOS?
Views: 134
Message 1 of 4

OS installation location if choose hybrid drive in order - T480

I was browsing the HK website and check out the order configurations. I discovered I can choose a first drive and a second drive. I personally prefer a hybrid solution with OS installed in SSD. But on the website, there is only SSD option in second drive. So if I choose a HDD as the first drive and an SSD as the second where the OS will be loaded by default?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 116
Message 2 of 4

Re: OS installation location if choose hybrid drive in order - T480

I looked at the SHOP Lenovo USA for a T480. I see:

(1) HDD slot with spinner -or-

HDD slot with 2.5 inch SSD

-or-

(2)M2. 2280 PCI/e 

Your OS will go on one the 3 devices above. You can only order 1 selection.

I dont see option on US site to add 2nd device with order. (outside of ADD INTEL OPTANE].

If you post a link to site you are shopping on, I will take a look.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 110
Message 3 of 4

I looked at Lenovo HK site. 2nd hard drive.

Specs state:

Some: 128GB M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s, in WWAN slot as 2nd Storage, mutually exclusive with WWAN   <<<The 2242 form factor would be  a data drive in WWAN slot. NO OS.

t480.PNG

If you order two drives, see below post. It  "should" have OS on the M.2 2242 in WWAN slot.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 94
Message 4 of 4

I can't speak from personal experience, but this thread in the forums, and others on other sites indicate that when the 2nd drive option is chosen, the OS comes on that (the SSD in the WWAN slot) drive.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T480-dual-harddisk-setup-mixed-up-straig...

That's not a guarantee, but that's what others have reported - and it does make some sense, if that counts for anything...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors