Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SebastianMnk
Paper Tape
Views: 624
Message 1 of 4

Old drivers for the fingerprint reader?

I know this has been asked before, but I haven't found any useable answers so I'll try again. 

I'm trying to get the fingerprint reader on my T470 working in a Windows 10 VM ( qemu+kvm ), but I can't get the current drivers working. 

The closest I get is the device being recognized as a biometric device, but with this error:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

I've found similar issues online and a working solution seems to be to use an older driver numbered 5.2.3527.26.

The solutions link to the official support page, however those pages have since been updated to only feature the newest driver version, which doesn't work for me.

I've been trying to track down the old driver but I haven't had any luck finding it (except from some sketchy sites I don't trust).

I haven't ruled out that the problem lies in the USB passthrough method I use, but finding and testing the old driver would get me closer to a conclusion so I hope someone knows a reputable driver archieve or something similar.

I'm still hoping there's an official driver archieve I just haven't found yet.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 588
Message 2 of 4

Re: Old drivers for the fingerprint reader?

In general you can find older drivers by opening the readme and then decreasing the number in the URL.

Readme for latest driver is here (I got here from support website): https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1mgf14w.txt

Change that 14 to 13, 12, 11, 10, 09, 08 etc until you find what you're looking for.  If you want 5.2.3527.26, I found it at "10":

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1mgf10w.txt

Then change the URL from "txt" to "exe" and you'll get the driver package.  Hope this helps.  But I have no idea about getting fingerprint working in a VM.  

SebastianMnk
Paper Tape
Views: 551
Message 3 of 4

Thank you, that works! I found a couple of old drivers to try out. 

They didn't help my issue however. The old drivers simply give me another error (code 10). It's probably that the VM can't properly access the hardware with my current setup. I'll try some other USB passthrough methods or double check the permissions.

I consider my question answered though. Thanks again.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 542
Message 4 of 4

I wonder if your problem has something to do with SGX.  I would try disabling SGX in BIOS Setup -> Security -> Intel SGX  and then reinstall the fingerprint driver.  Normally, fingerprint driver uses SGX (when it's enabled) to increase security but I'm not sure whether SGX can work in a VM.  To change between SGX enabled/disabled, must re-install fingerprint driver.  I have seen fingerprint code 10 errors in the past when something wrong with SGX.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors