Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kfitzgibbon
Paper Tape
Views: 428
Message 1 of 6

Out of Warranty Issue

serial removed per forum rules - mod

Apparantly, if your Lenovo purchase is out of warranty,  online support, of any kind,  is unavialble. On the contact page I entered serial number xxxxxxx (12/02) and was told my Thinkpad is out warranty, something I knew in June. Does this mean that online contact with Lenovo is unavialable? The only contact option on that page is the forum...so hello.

I've been bouncing back and forth between Staple and Lenovo for a couple of months now regarding a Thinkpad purchased this year. I recently sent the following note Staples, who again forwarded me to Lenovo Support, and who, as explained, is unavailable. 

I purchased a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad in mid February. I purchased
this computer based on what I could afford and past experience with both

Staples and Lenovo. The computer failed in June, one month beyond its
warranty period. The local Staples store told me they are unwilling to
repair it.

It should be clear to a reasonable consumer, or vendor, that a $400
dollar product, carefully used, should not be rendered worthless within
a 4 month period,..without consideration. Is this what Staples has
become? If it has, why would I remain a customer?

I expected more from Staples and Lenovo, warranty, or no warranty.

As stated, I expect more of a global brand and its vendors, regarding a computer or a lawnmower, warranty or no warranty.

SeniorGuru
Views: 378
Message 2 of 6

Re: Out of Warranty Issue

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your frustration with getting support. There are many very knowledgeable and experienced people here who can help you. First what is the model number of your ThinkPad? See Find Product Name & Serial Number. Please don't post the serial number, just the Machine Type and Model, e.g. T430 2352-KHU.

Paper Tape
Views: 363
Message 3 of 6

Hi Dorian,

The model is T420,

Product ID: 4180AP3

Keith

SeniorGuru
Views: 349
Message 4 of 6

And what's the issue you're having with it?

Paper Tape
Views: 344
Message 5 of 6

In mid June the local Staples store sent the computer to their repair depot stating that it wouldn't boot up. The depot determined on June 16th it was a motherboard issue.  

SeniorGuru
Views: 332
Message 6 of 6

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately the cost of a new motherboard makes repair uneconomical.

As to Lenovo's responsibility, this is a refurbished system. When it was new it was covered by their warranty. But that warranty has ended. The system has presumably been sold by the original owner and has been refurbished, then offered for sale by Staples. Nevertheless it's still a several-year old used system. As a result it came with a relatively short warranty. 

It seems to me your only recourse is to take the matter up with Staples. Perhaps if you escalate they'll offer you a resolution on a goodwill basis.