Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happysilvia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,352
Message 1 of 21

Overheating problem gets worse after I cleaned my fan

My T400 gets shut down from time to time so I decided to clean it before my big project comes. So I got the fan out following the maintainance manual and blowed it dry with a duster. However, after I put all the parts back together, it got worse: It cannot even run over 5 min using the adapter. When I use the battery, the CPU temperature is around 60 C. The CPU usage reaches to 100% and as I checked the progresses in task manager I don't see anything big running. Its my first time opening a laptop so I think I might did someting wrong when i assemble or disassemble it. Anybody can help me figure out where the problem can possibly is?

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,345
Message 2 of 21

Re: Overheating problem gets worse after I cleaned my fan

Hi happysilvia, and welcome,

Did you only remove the fan, or did you also remove the heatsink assembly from the CPU?  If you disturbed the heatsink to CPU contact, did you clean it and apply thermal compound?  If you disturbed the CPU to heatsink assembly connection without reapplying compound, that might explain your issues.

Others may/will have better suggestions, but I don't remove a fan to clean it.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

happysilvia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,342
Message 3 of 21

yes, I guess that makes sense, I did moved the heatsink. It had too much dirt that I can't clean it thoroughly without moving it. I'll buy a thermal compound tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you so much for the information!

Guru
Views: 3,324
Message 4 of 21

Hi happysilvia

To add on, I would not recommend budget thermal compound, you would get less than optimal result (not even as great as when you bought it). Get something like Arctic Silver 5 or carbon-based thermal compound

More Info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T400-Overheating-caused-by-dried-thermal-gr...

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
ThinkPad: W520 (4284-A99)

=============================================

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Dolby Home Theater v4 (Essential/IdeaPad/ThinkPad)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

Guru
Views: 3,318
Message 5 of 21

Betreff: Overheating problem gets worse after I cleaned my fan

happysilvia schrieb:

The CPU usage reaches to 100% and as I checked the progresses in task manager I don't see anything big running.

Do a virus scan with "housecall" from trendmicro.com.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
happysilvia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,302
Message 6 of 21

Thanks for all replies! One more stupid question: when I put the thermo compounds on the CPU and hard drive, do I need to remove the old one thoroughly or I can just leave them there?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,297
Message 7 of 21

NO THERMAL COMPOUND ON THE HARD DRIVE!  I'm guessing that was just a "thinko".

You will need to clean the old compound off the CPU and heat sink assembly.  There may also be another heat-sink pad for the GPU or chipset, depending on your model.  Clean that too and apply compound.

Here's a link to Arctic Silver 5 cleaning and installing instructions for Core 2 Duo mobile processors.   Please read all of it before doing anything.

Core™2 Duo Mobile/Lap Top Processors -- Surface Spread

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Guru
Views: 3,292
Message 8 of 21

Thermal grease remove and replace by new one (see above). Thermal pad leave, if you have no new one and it is not destroyed while removal.

Please also check the inner side of the heat sink. Hold a torchlight over the propeller and look between the fan ribs, whether you can see the light. If not, you'll need to blow the dust with compressed air from outside through the ribs into the heat sink after detaching it from the system board.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,278
Message 9 of 21

Good points , thanks.

Z.

happysilvia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,246
Message 10 of 21

ok, now I've got thermo compound here. I do notice that there's a thermo plad on oneof the chips which is dirty. I made some phone calls and i cannot findany in town. Can I replace it with thermo compound? Sorry for all these newbie questions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors