Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 1,093
Message 11 of 21

Re: Overheating problem gets worse after I cleaned my fan

You can carefully clean it.

If you remove it and do not replace it by the same type the heat sink does not get contact to the chip, which will overheat then.

What kind of dirt is on the cooling pad? It seats on the chip an no dirt can reach it.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
happysilvia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,092
Message 12 of 21

OK, so what solvent should I use to clean it? 

Guru
Views: 1,075
Message 13 of 21

I don't know, whether a solvent wil be helpful on the cooling pad.

The thermal grease can be removed with Isopropanol on CPU and heat sink.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
happysilvia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,066
Message 14 of 21

OK, here's where I am now. I didn't remove the thermal pad. I briefly cleaned it and it's still kind of dirty (I got the dirt when the first time I tried to clean the fan). I put new thermal compound on and put the computer. Now the computer can work without shutting down. However, the CPU temperature is still kind of high (~80c). Should I just leave it there or is there something else I need to do?

PS: I'm using an external monitor, could this be one cause of the issue?

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 1,048
Message 15 of 21

Depending on the resolution of the external display the temperature will raise a few degrees, but 80°C seems to be too high. How is the temperature using the internal monitor only? Do you use a balanced powermanagement-scheme?

Did you look into the heat sink as i recommended in one of my postings above to ensure that no dust blocks the fan ribs? Is the thermal grease on the CPU very thin that you still can see weak the CPU-DIE? - If the grease is too thick, it works like an isolator.

A tip:

If i renew the thermal grase, i only use a small drop on the CPU-DIE. Then i put the heat sink onto the CPU and move it aside, along and across as well as i can use the small free place around the heat sink to move.

Then i lift the heat sink to look, whether on the heat sink is the same pattern of thermal grease as on the CPU-DIE and re-attach it, if it is so.

If mentioned in the Hardware Maintenance Manual, last but not least i attach the screws in the same order, as described there (if it is so) - otherwise i attach the screws crosswise (as well as at wheel change at a car). So you can guarantee, that the heat sink is attached flat on the CPU.

My ThinkPad-Collection
happysilvia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,035
Message 16 of 21

This morning the CPU temperatue is around 70c. I turned on a video yesterday to see if it will freak out so i guess that's the reason why it got that high. Without the extermal display it drops like 2 or 3c?

Did you look into the heat sink as i recommended in one of my postings above to ensure that no dust blocks the fan ribs? Yes.

Is the thermal grease on the CPU very thin that you still can see weak the CPU-DIE? should be, I didn't put a lot on it.

I think i'll just leave it there and check it again it the computer shuts down again. Thanks for the tips on how to applying the thermal grease, will definitely do that next time.

calkenneth
HDMI
Views: 1,028
Message 17 of 21

Hi,

I would take a look at it again. Your CPU should be around 40-50 C in normal use, and maybe up to 55 C in high use.
Guru
Views: 1,026
Message 18 of 21

Yes - you should remove most of the thermal grease until it is very thin.

My ThinkPad-Collection
deickos
SCSI Port
Views: 1,017
Message 19 of 21

@calkenneth wrote:
Hi,

I would take a look at it again. Your CPU should be around 40-50 C in normal use, and maybe up to 55 C in high use.

calkenneth  is right - you need try again

happysilvia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 995
Message 20 of 21

I tried again yesterday and now the CPU temperature dropped to 50 C. I'll call it a sccess. Thank you guys for all the information and encouragement. Love this forum!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors