Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 2,408
Message 1 of 15

PSA: Problems with Lenovo T460s BIOS Updates - Startup issues w/ dock

Problem:

After updating to the latest BIOS firmware (1.26), I found that my T460s would hang at the red Lenovo splash screen when starting up whilst placed in my ThinkPad Pro 90W Dock (the dock was on the latest firmware (2.33)).  The spinning circle of dots would never appear.

• If I took the laptop off the dock and started it, there was no problem.
  • If I removed the single USB cable from the back of the dock (which fed the USB ports on my Dell monitor), there was no problem.
  • If the laptop was just asleep (rather than completely off), and I woke it up on the dock, there was no problem.

The problem only arose when the laptop was on the dock, with the USB cable plugged in, being started from a complete shutdown.

Notes:

• I have had this laptop going on a year now using the exact setup with no issue
  • I also have a T440 work laptop that I use on the exact same setup and it has no issues (BIOS version 2.41)
  • Just in case, I completely wiped my hard drive and installed a fresh version of Windows 10 (on the T460s).  The problem persisted.

Steps taken to dianose the issue:

• I rolled back the BIOS, first to v1.22 (which I believe is the earliest version I could role back to).
    • This was challenging.  For those interested, I had to extract the BIOS image from the Lenovo ISO using ISOBuster, then create a bootable USB to flash the image using Rufus USB tool.  Lenovo didn't make it easy!
  • All the above problems disappeared.
  • I then tried both v1.24 and 1.25 - both of these had the same problems as v1.26

Conclusion:

If you are using a ThinkPad Pro dock, stick to v1.22!

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 2,347
Message 2 of 15

Re: PSA: Problems with Lenovo T460s BIOS Updates - Startup issues w/ dock

Spent a few hrs talking to maybe 4 or 5 different depts @ Lenovo + contacting via Facebook + submitting a service request ticket.

Bottom line, I can't get in touch with anyone that has a clue what's going on to try and get this BIOS issue into the right hands and addressed.

Standard terrible customer service where you just get punted from one dept to another.

Hopefully someone from Lenovo is monitoring these forums.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,328
Message 3 of 15

Can you please provide some more information?

1.  What do you mean "feed the USB ports on the Dell monitor"?  Do you mean the monitor is also some kind of USB hub, or something else?  If it's a USB hub, does it matter if any devices are connected to the monitor?

2.  As a troubleshooting step, can you fiddle with the USB-related settings in BIOS Setup and see if you can make the problem go away?

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 2,275
Message 4 of 15

First off, many thanks for your reply.

RE: #1, yes, the monitor (a Dell u2415H) has USB ports/acts as a USB hub.

I only have 4 cables connected to my dock: the power cable, a DisplayPort cable, an ethernet cable, and a single USB cable which connects to my monitor to enable the built in USB ports.

As I mentioned:

• If I disconnect the USB cable from the dock, the laptop boots correctly.
  • If I leave the USB cable plugged into the dock, but remove all the USB peripherals from the monitor, the laptop boots correctly.

I just did some additional testing (using v1.26) with the USB cable plugged into the dock:

• If I plug just a single device into the monitor USB port circled in the attached picture, the laptop boots fine (I tested this with several different USB devices).
  • If I plug this single device into any other port, the laptop does not boot.
  • If I plug a single device into the circled port, and then insert a second device into any other port, the laptop does not boot.

It is easy to jump to the conclusion that there's an issue with my monitor’s built in USB hub.  However, when I revert back to BIOS v1.22, all issues are fixed: I can have any number of devices attached to any of my monitor’s USB ports and everything boots fine.

Like I said, my setup works perfectly on v1.22 and on my work T440 laptop.

The sole cause of the problem on the T460s is upgrading its BIOS beyond v1.22.

RE: #2.

I tried all the above testing with “Always on USB” disabled, then with both this and “USB UEFI BIOS Support” disabled.  The exact same problems described above, persist.

There are no other settings to tweak in the BIOS related to USB that I am aware of.

Please let me know if there's an additional troubleshooting you would like me to perform.

Thank you again for your help.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,263
Message 5 of 15

I have tried my T460s + Pro dock along with a USB hub I have here, and can't reproduce any startup hang like you are reporting.  I don't have that Dell monitor and I doubt anyone else in Lenovo does either.

Have you tried attaching the monitor's USB cable to different USB ports on the dock?  What about to the USB ports directly on the ThinkPad.  Does it make any difference?

I know you have reported that BIOS 1.22 is OK, and BIOS 1.26 fails, but have you tried 1.24 and 1.25?  This could be an additional data point so that I could look into the detailed change logs to try to figure which specific change causes this behavior.

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 2,256
Message 6 of 15

I just tried the USB cable on different USB ports on the dock.  No change.

I also just tried connecting to a USB port on the laptop (whilst it was still docked).  No change.

I did not do the extensive 'port by port' testing I did in my previous post, but as I mentioned in my first post, I have tried 1.24 and 1.25.  Both exhibited the same problems as 1.26.

Let me know if you need me to do any of this specific testing to help diagnose the issue.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,144
Message 7 of 15

For anyone watching this thread, I am working privately with dom2114 about this issue.  No fix yet, but we are working on it.

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 2,136
Message 8 of 15

Just want to commend someotherguy for how helpful he has been in diagnosing the issue.  Incredibly responsive and knowledgable.

I hope Lenovo is paying him enough to keep him around!

mouseandcat
What's DOS?
Views: 2,075
Message 9 of 15

yes! same problem here. I have a 460s and the 90W ultradock.

whenever I have my monitor plugged into the dock using displayport, it hangs on the red 'Lenovo press enter to....' screen. when I undock and hard reset, it's fine. When I dock it and have it connected to hdmi, dvi, or vga, the monitor(s) are fine and boots normally.

montior: dell u2713hm

dom2114
Serial Port
Views: 2,070
Message 10 of 15

Interesting that the display output is what's causing the issue.

My dock has only ever been connected to the external monitors via DisplayPort, and it was the USB connection from the dock to the USB hub on the external monitor that caused the issue.

Out of interest, do you have the dock connected to the USB hub on your monitor?

Separately (and this is a long shot), but are you daisy chaining multiple display port monitors?  I have this setup and found it to be rather finnicky...although I can't recall the problems I ran into causing a hang at the Lenovo splash screen.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors